Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need some advice on my monte

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Need some advice on my monte

My 06LT3 doesnt feel like it suppose to anymore. For some reason I think I'm loosing torque. Its not as peppy as it once was. It's got 28K miles.

Now my theory is that it might be the cat. The past few months I've smelled rotten eggs after I turn of my car and in my garage about 3 times.

Is it possible that my cat could be failing? I haven't smelled it the past month but I HAVE smelled it.

I changed my air filter 3 times allready. When I put K&N filter I felt a sudden loss of tourqe. Since I threw the original away I had to get an STP cause I couldn't find a delco. The STP helped but it still wasn't the same. Then I found the delco at Amazon.com installed it and still didnt change.

Any advice on what it could be.

I'm going to try and make a video of 0-60 to make sure it gets up to sixty without the seat pushing torque at a reasonable time.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Default RE: Need some advice on my monte

[align=center]Hi Noe,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Sorry to read that your Monte is losing Power : ([/align][align=center]At 28K miles you should still be under warranty.[/align][align=center]I've never heard of a K & N causing lose of Power ?[/align][align=center]Is your Monte showing/indicating any codes.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I would suggest taking it into your dealership & have them[/align][align=center]do a test. I know, it's a pain, but it's part of the warranty.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If they can't figure what's wrong, please post.[/align][align=center]If they do find out what's wrong....,please Post &[/align][align=center]let the members know.[/align][align=center]Wish you good results, where you can get out there and[/align][align=center]enjoy all the powerthat theawesome 3.9L has to offer.[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align]

Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 PM
15 Year Member

My Monte doesn't show any codes yet but I think going to the dealership is my only option. Does a cat fail that early?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:40 PM

not usually but some have been known to. but mainly on the bigger V8 engines, not the V6s.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I could be wrong (and someone please correct me if I am), but I thought a cat didn't fail that soon unless there was something else wrong. Like the air/fuel ratio, etc...
The K&N drop in filter shouldn't have caused a problem like that. The standard paper filters (Delco, Purolator, Fram...) are all pretty much the same. You shouldn't have to buy a Delco brand air filter.
Usually something like this happens when a lot of engine mods have been done, and the computer needs to be reprogrammed to compensate for the mods.

Cats do go, but they shouldn't go that soon. Just a thought.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know about the converters used on the '06 Montes but the smell of rotten eggs is normal on most cars.

I know the engines used in '06 Montes were advertised as clean burn. And the times I've been near the exhaust on my '06 Monte with the car running I really do not smell a lot.
And no I'm not out huffing the exhaust on my car. [sm=bustedsign.gif] [sm=laughat.gif]

Old 11-06-2007, 12:09 PM

[align=center]MCF Lesson of the Day,[/align][align=center]by Prof. `Space LOL ~ LOL[/align][align=center]I keep learning something everyday on the MCF : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align]
Catalytic Converter Failure
[align=center]Catalytic converter failures typically fall into one of four categories:
1. Thermal failure (overheating)
2. Plugged substrate
3. Thermal shock
4. Physical damage
[/align][align=center]Thermal failure is most often caused when excessive raw fuel comes into contact with the catalyst, and "burns" in the converter instead of in the engine. The high quantity of fuel generates temperatures well in excess of the capacity of the converter, causing meltdown of the ceramic monolith. The melted ceramic could block the exhaust path, leading to a significant loss of engine power. Visible symptoms include heat-related discoloration of the converter shell.[/align][align=center]Potential causes of thermal failure include: misfire, malfunctioning oxygen sensor, fuel delivery issue, improper choke setting/operation, and ECU malfunction.
A plugged or contaminated substrate can be the result of an overly rich air/fuel mixture, radiator sealant, and oil or antifreeze entering the exhaust flow. The resultant carbon deposits restrict the operation - and ultimately the flow characteristics - of the converter by coating the unit's reactive surface. This degrades the converter's ability to perform its chemical conversion process, leading to potentially illegal levels of HC, CO, and NOx.
[/align][align=center]Root causes of this problem are a malfunctioning O2 sensor, plugged or inoperable fuel injectors, piston blow-by, leaking head gasket, broken or frozen choke or carburetor float, excessive cranking time, and repeated incidences of running out of gas.[/align][align=center]Thermal shock occurs when a fully heated converter suddenly is "cold-quenched," such as coming into contact with snqw or ice. This leads to sudden contraction of the converter housing, which can cause cracks and disintegration of the ceramic substrate. Symptoms include a "rattling' sound when the converter is tapped with a fist or mallet (monolith-type converters only).[/align][align=center]Physical damage, caused by running over road debris, collisions and other impacts, is usually easy to diagnose. This type of damage can break up the ceramic substrate or cause restriction that changes the flow characteristics of the converter or impacts the efficiency of the catalyst.[/align]

Old 11-06-2007, 12:16 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Dear Prof. Space,

While on a web site I frequent the subject of bad catalytic converters came up. There were several replies as to why or what the symtoms of what to look for in a bad cat.

But here's my question to you.

Have you ever had flames shooting out of your cat?

Well, I have. Not only does it smell bad, but the thought of flames shooting out of my cat is, well....... scarey.

What would you recommend be done to keep this from happening again?

Signed,

Hot N Smelly.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:30 PM

RJ, I never seen that happen on a later model car.
Prof.` Space doesn't know : (
Unless you have installed a Flame Thrower Kit ?
[align=center]From Professor Empty `Space[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]The flame thrower kit safely lights up fuel coming out of the exhaust pipe at the tip, using our proprietary flamethrower control module the kit works in with your vehicle to get the right mix for a flame when you want it, the flamethrowers can be turned on and off by a switch that you can fit in a convenient place. When not in use the flamethrower kit will have absolutely no effect over the regular performance of your vehicle. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click on below link[/align][align=center]http://www.zorst.com/faq.html[/align]

Old 11-06-2007, 01:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I'm guessing you have dirty fuel injectors,and need to run at least 1 can of Seafoam injector cleaner thru your gas tank, and then as someone said, "Drive it like you stole it!"
Stick to brand name gas, like Shell, Amoco, etc, and not the generics.
Wayne
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Quick Reply: Need some advice on my monte