Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Need help with sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 11:32 AM
Question Need help with sunroof

Hello everyone. I just picked up a 2004 Monte Carlo SS. The previous owner bought it in 2010 and she said she never used the sunroof so it's basically been shut unused for 14 years (approx 110k miles during that time). When I tried to open it, as it would start to lift it would start to make a loud popping/creaking sound. It almost sounds like friction from 2 parts that are rubbing against each other so I don't know if the front of the sunroof is rubbing on the sunroof opening as it's lifting or if it's something with the motor or tracks that are making this noise. I don't know a lot about sunroofs so I'm trying to figure out a good starting point to start tackling this issue. I don't want to end up breaking something and not being able to get the sunroof back down or cause it to start leaking when it rains. I thought about just not using it but it's there and I kind of want to use it.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the sun roof has not been used in that long and the car spent most of it's life outside, things may be rusting, need some lubrication and the rubber seals might be sticking to the body. Without being there, hard to say much beyond those general items.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
If the sun roof has not been used in that long and the car spent most of it's life outside, things may be rusting, need some lubrication and the rubber seals might be sticking to the body. Without being there, hard to say much beyond those general items.
The car actually looks like it spent most of its life in a garage. I was able to get the sunroof open far enough to conclude that it's not the glass (or seal) rubbing on the body, it definitely seems like the tracks and wheels might need to be lubed. I need to pick up some white silicon grease for the door hinges anyway, so I'll lube up the tracks with that while I'm at it and hopefully get this thing back to full functionality again.