Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

NEED HELP, NO start

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default NEED HELP, NO start

I have been on here since last night searching for help. Anyway, car has been fine until yesterday. I finished removing wiring from a nitrous setup, got done and went to start the car. NOTHING, NO gauges work, radio works, headlights come on, turn signals work, windows roll down, interior lights come on, wipers work, chime works. I have had problems since I bought it, with the passlock system, so I know how it acts when it won't start then. Car is doing even less now. I did just now put a brand new battery on, nothing. Also, I had a spare PCM so I changed it out, still nothing. On ALL 4 fuse blocks, there are some fuses with no power. Could a bad relay cause this or bad BCM ? I did NOT cut any wires that I shouldn't had, done checked. I checked all fuses, NONE blowed.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member

Never mind, I found the problem. The clster/bcm fuses was not making good contact. thats crazy that, that little 10a fuse would cause the car not to start.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member

Ok, well the clster/bcm fuse wasn't it. It was by sheer LUCK and Coincidence that my car started by me pulling and reinserting that fuse. And has been fine untill last night. My car has No Start for the past 4 years but I could always do the "Leave Key On For 10min" and it would start. Then my air bag light was constantly staying on, service light always on, past month my traction control has been turning itself off. Then Saturday, a different No Start issue happened. No gauges would even move, somethings wouldn't work. Pulled that clster/bcm fuse, put it in and car started. Been fine till last night. Did the samething, left me stuck at work. Pulled car home this morning. Sooo, it's a great chance my BCM is bad, correct?? When I get a new one, if that is what the problem was, it should let me start the car, correct?? And THEN drive it to a dealer for programming? Just double checking, and extra info is helpful or just some reassurance.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If that's the problem you should be able to start the car after you replace the BCM and do a 30 minute security relearn procedure (different from the 10 minute) but you will need somebody like the dealer with a Tech 2 to program the BCM for accessories, SIR etc...and you will get MIL's until it's programmed.

You might to check main engine grounds and connectors into the BCM before you replace it. Check the ground under the PCM and at the stud bolt fastening the trans to the engine under the air intake duct. Also make sure the engine harness connectors are tight and locked.

Security Relearn Procedure. This procedure allows the PCM to function properly in your vehicle after a Battery disconnect or a Security Breach.
Follow the steps listed below completely.

1. Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2. Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3. Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position, DO NOT remove the key.)
4. Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes (the security light should stop flashing, if not wait up to 3 more minutes).
5. Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6. Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7. On 4th-5th attempt, car should start.

NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.

Last edited by plumbob; 07-20-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you very much. At this point I hope it's it, my scanner had 4 codes pointing to the bcm. I know I gotta take it to the dealer for programming. They told me 90.00, I was at least wanting to make sure about if it was OK to put the new one in first or I'd have to tow the car to a dealer. I've read people saying you gotta take car and new bcm to dealer BEFORE installing the new one. Thanks for your advice and helpful info !!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member

One more question, IF the dealer can't fit me in, is going to hurt anything to drive it for a few days before it gets programmed ?

Old 07-20-2016, 08:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Should be fine.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you !!

Old 07-22-2016, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member

Update, that didn't work. Ended up having insurance get me towed to a dealer. A mechanic there said, if you tried to start it after installing a new BCM without programming it, then it locked itself and have to get a new one. This morning they called and said car fixed. Picked it up and they said the new one, a ACDelco BCM would not except programming so they put my old one in. They found the problem. A FUSE, in the same fuse box that I pulled the clster/bcm fuse. But, it actually was the STOP fuse loose that made the car not start. That fuse was one of them that I used to have a electrical wire hooked in to with a "metal tab" which actually spread the connector more open. Causing that stop fuse to be loose. Car is fine now, and I sent back the new BCM for a refund. Embarrassed to say, it was ALL self induced. I should have checked that since I pulled wiring out. But who would have thought that the STOP FUSE would not let a car start. Oh well.