Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need help fast!!!!! Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Exclamation Need help fast!!!!! Car won't start

When i put the key in the ignition and turn to acc the gauges and my lights all turn on and work but, when i try to start everything goes out and nothing happens complete silence. There's days that it starts with no problem but lately it just doesnt want to start. please help me!!
i just graduated from high school and start college in a couple days and its my ride. Please help. Thank you!!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:11 PM

Sounds like a bad starter, it was probably just intermittent but now it's more than likely shot. How many miles are on your car? I've seen that happen to quite a few of these engines around 60xxx-90000 miles.

Try tapping on the starter with a hammer (you can get to it from under your car). That will only work a few times, so I'd have it looked at soon

Old 08-24-2011, 01:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would even say it's just the battery.

Enough juice to light the accessories, but not enough for the start.

Try to jump the car, if it starts that way go buy a new battery.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Try to jump the car, if it starts that way go buy a new battery.
Don't you risk frying the BCM by doing that? I would say use a battery checker to see how much juice it has.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've jumped my car a couple times, I never had an issue with frying anything.

Perhaps if people don't jump a car properly with the negative cable on a proper ground?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:58 PM

It has 90,046 miles and the battery is new like 5 months old (red top optima).
Ill try tapping the starter and see what happens thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 PM

You shouldn't fry anything unless you're doing something wrong or jumping it where it shouldn't be jumped.

Yeah it could definitely be the battery... but unless the battery is nearly dead it should at least push some juice to the starter. It would at least try and crank, not just sit dead and do nothing. When it's being cranked the battery is putting out as much as it can to get the starter going, therefore leading everything in your car to turn off when you try... And if you're not getting any crank from the starter and keep trying, eventually the battery will die from trying too much.

I guess I usually assume people try and jump the car

Old 08-24-2011, 02:04 PM

And the battery was charged over night. BECAUSE IT WAS LOW FROM TRYING TO START BUT STILL NO GO AND BATTERY TESTED EXCELENT

Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 PM

I'm going with starter... Have someone try and start it while you're down there giving the starter a good hit or 2

Old 08-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Hows the battery cable and connections, no residue buildup around the battery hookup at positive? Also check the wires to make sure no insulation missing anywhere, but I've had the residue buildup definitely do this on quite a few of my cars over the years!!!

Mike

Quick Reply: Need help fast!!!!! Car won't start