Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Question need help

hi all,
i have a 2003 monte carlo and as soon as i bought it it kept over heating...after a new thermostat, sensor and radiator it still shows its overheating...but nothing is hot and it doesnt smoke...what else can this be?? this is one frustrated momma

Old 03-10-2014, 01:44 PM

coolant expansion tank maybe? check the hoses also. It could be your belt tensioner elbows are leaking coolant, i had to change mine recently.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 AM

but there are no leaks...i also opened the bleeder screw to air it out...

Old 03-11-2014, 05:53 AM
Thumbs up Welcome to the MCF

Hi T-Bird & Welcome to the MCF

How many miles on your Monte Carlo ?
Please check back on your problem & hopefully one of our expert tech member's will post to help on your problem.

Below are some links to check `out on overheating.
Good Luck 4-Sure

How to Troubleshoot an Overheating Engine - For Dummies

Troubleshooting an Overheating Engine - What's Wrong ...

autorepair.about.com › ... › TroubleshootingEngine Troubleshooting

When the weather is warm, we rely on our car's cooling system to keep ... Let us help you figure out why your car or truck is running hot or overheating. ... Fuel Related No-Start Problems · What to Do if Your Car Won't Start or Even Turn.

<How to Stop an Engine from Overheating: 13 Steps (with ...

[COLOR=#545454]www.wikihow.com › ... › Engine Cooling Parts
wikiHow

[COLOR=#545454]
► 1:42► 1:42

www.youtube.com/watch?v...‎
YouTube

The most common cause for an overheating car is low antifreeze, but other causes may be a thermostat ...

Steve Litt's Overheating Guide - Troubleshooters.Com

Trouble-Shooting Guide: Car Overheating - Mishimoto

Diagnosing car engine overheating and antifreeze leaks ... - ...

www.ifitjams.com/radiator.htm‎

Troubleshooting an overheating engine, including coolant loss, thermostat failure, leaks and ... Flowchart to diagnose radiator leaks and overheating problems ...

Radiator, Overheating Causes and Cures - Arrowhead ...

How to Troubleshoot an Overheating Engine | DoItYourself.com

Fixing car overheating problems - Allpar

Last edited by Space; 03-11-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello, sorry to hear your having overheating issues, those can be frustrating for sure.

What do you know about your water pump? It's part of the system and could be a possible culprit. Here is some info I pulled for you.

There are some very obvious ways to tell if your water pump is bad, aside from simple overheating. Sometimes the pulley on the front of the water pump will just shear right off. That's a bad pump. Other times it's more subtle, but there are still signs. If everything else seems to be functioning well in your cooling system, start paying attention to your water pump. The first sign that your water pump will fail you soon is called weeping. Water pumps are designed so that when the bearings inside start to fail, the seal begins to weep, allowing small drops of coolant to leak out. This is intentional, and those drops under your car are meant to warn you that your water pump isn't going to last much longer. It's also important to listen to your water pump. You shouldn't be able to hear it. If you hear rubbing, grinding, whining or other noises coming from the area of the pump, that's a sign that the bearings inside might be failing.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

this sounds like the coolant elbows alot, what it would do if they leak they sometimes get on the exhaust and evaporate which makes it seem like its not coming from there. Also look at the UIM gasket area they can also leak. and mr. zippy ^^ has also made a good point on theywate pump as well

Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 AM

thank you guys i will check on that ...my MC has 145000 miles on it

Old 03-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

FYI - Moved to Monte Carlo Repair Help.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:34 PM

i am beyond frustrated..we worked all day on this MC of mine and it drove great after wards..today i get in my MC drive for 5 min or so and guess what the needle goes back up all the way then drops back down to normal and after 10 min or so goess back up to almost overheating????HELP!!!!!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM

are you adding fluid? does it loose fluid? what color is the fluid? is the underside of the oil filler cap a milky tan color? what color is the engine oil? Are your fans coming on?

Quick Reply: need help