Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): My buddy cut the stereo wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Exclamation My buddy cut the stereo wires

I recently bought an aftermarket radio for my car but didn't really know how to connect it so my friend said he would. Well when he did he cut the wires from the plug that goes into the factory radio and now I can't figure out how to get the new radio hooked up. I don't know if I'm connecting the correct wires or if I need to buy a new plug. I just need some help.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

I read a lot of stories on here about the problems guys have with after market radios.
Back when I used to do the swap on radios they weren't as sophisticated as today. The radio controls so much stuff that might need to reprogramed again.
However if it was me I would try to find a book or service manual and check the electrical schematics for the radio and reconnect them, then use a plug for the individual wires on the aftermarket unit.
Or you could just have someone like Best Buy install it for you or the folks that you may have purchased it might know how to do it.

Sorry I can't offer more and maybe one of the fellows on here may have some great advice better than this.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:41 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Dale
I think you forgot a step...lol
Buy service manual
smack said friend with service manual for cutting wires
look up electrical schematics

Old 10-30-2016, 09:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, no one should cut wires unless they know what they are getting into, that is a BIG issue. We are decades away from those old days when you had to splice a radio direct into a car. The aftermarket community provides wiring harnesses to make everything plug-in-play, you NEVER have to butcher the factory wiring anymore.

If you still have that factory connector, I would splice that back together (and do it right, solder the connections and re-cover with heat shrink tubing). Once re-connected, ensure the factory radio still works (helps validate you connected everything correctly). If you don't have the original connector, hit up a junk yard and get a long enough cut to have extra wire.

Once re-assembled and back to square one, hit Best Buy, local car audio shops or even online resources like Amazon or Crutchfield. Buy the correct wiring harness for you car. These companies help make the job easy, you look at the info that comes with the wiring harness adapter and look at the info that comes with the radio and you begin matching wires up. Again, solder and heat shrink tube all the connections and you should then be plug and play.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by P343
Dale
I think you forgot a step...lol
Buy service manual
smack said friend with service manual for cutting wires
look up electrical schematics
Ha, there you have it. What she said!!!

You should have checked the Angies list first!!
We have all had that Buddy who is really a dumb sh*t or the service dept. that has goofed up the car.
I think I could buy a new car for all the times a service dept. caused me extra work and cash.