Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

My 2000 mc

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:03 PM
1 Year Member
Default My 2000 mc

I need help...tons of it.i have a 2000 monte ss 3.8 liter v6.... When I get in my*car
*for the first time each day it starts off all good. After driving my car for about 15 to 20 minutes it starts to act a fool. The fool part is that it shuts off while I'm driving. It tends to like jerk a little bit while going up a slight hill sometimes, the RPM hand jerks while going up the hill. Soon as I get pass the hill it runs good and then shuts off like I said. After it shuts off, I try to crank it back up and it hesitates to crank up. While trying to crank it up, I'll smell fumes in my car as in its like gas or something. I'd smell that smell on the outside and the inside of my car. I'd have to sit and wait in my car for about 10 to 15 minutes and it'll start right back up all fine. When I crank it up I'll give it a little gas so its flow. I've done a couple things to it like got a new Catalytic converter, tune up, new spark plugs, crankshaft, and crank sensor.**The issue still hasn't been solved yet. Can someone plz help a brother out

Old 12-17-2011, 10:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

At first, i would suspect the cat, how long ago was it that you put the new cat on the car?? If it's over a year, it could actually have gone bad (some after market cats are poor).
Possibly a weak fuel pump?
Replace fuel and air filters (even if they aren't the problem, it's good maintenance that is commonly neglected).
When you did the plugs, what brand plugs? If you say BOSCH, rip them out. BOSCH makes horrible plugs for GM cars, I've dealt with too many BOSCH spark plug problems and my first advise, get rid of them.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 PM

Identical to what mine went through.
I believe my MAF sensor was bad.

I changed both the IAC and MAF ... and it's all good now.

*edit*

Maniac, what are symptoms of Bosch plugs & wires acting up? I ask because that's what I'm currently running. !!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:39 AM
1 Year Member

Thats wassup...thx guys....idk wat kind of spark plugs I have....Cat converter was put on around April 2011 so it hasnt been a yr yet..it was doin to samething b4 the cat converter.....so I dont think thats it.....Wat is IAC? I replaced the MAF...When I went to Advance auto...the same 2 codes come up....tgata knock sensor 1 & 2 and crankshaft..i replaced crankshaft but I dont think the knock sensor wud cause the cutting off...

Old 12-18-2011, 05:04 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
Maniac, what are symptoms of Bosch plugs & wires acting up? I ask because that's what I'm currently running. !!
Most common problems I have seen is pre-mature failure, they stop firing right. When I say premature, I'm talking about 6 months from date of install. In addition, some poor quality control.

I base this on my personal experience using BOSCH plugs on 3100/3400's on more then one occasions. I put them in friends/family cars on 2-3 different occasions (because they were on some sale, seemed like a good idea, and they were no special design). Roughly in 6 months on these different cars they began mis-firing (idle for crap, poor fuel economy and one I believe threw a code). Because I had access to swap some stuff with another car (so we knew the parts were "known good"), we've swapped coils, ICMs, tried new wire kits, fuel/air filters.... Finally, someone told me to pull the BOSCH plugs and go back to AC Delcos. That solved the problem.

I also knew someone that after putting BOSCH plugs in his wife's car spent about 1-2 months self diagnosing AND two different shops diagnosing why the car was still mis-firing (symptom that caused him to change the plugs in the first place). Eventually he told me he had BOSCH plugs in the car, I told him step 1, I know they are new plugs, get rid of them. He popped them out and he went to AutoLites, no more problem.

Over the years, I've heard other such complaints, so I don't trust BOSCH plugs. People can use what they wish with plugs, but I have not seen BOSCH plugs last in GMs, if someone has them in a car, my first advise, get rid of them (again, based on my experience).

FYI - BOSCH wires work GREAT! I have used them a LOT with great success and they are life time warranty! I just wanted to make clear, I don't like BOSCH plugs, but they make other good products.
I have read people have issues in late model cars with BOSCH O2 sensors. The reason is the data it collects can be slightly off from OEM. I've used BOSCH O2's in '94 Grand Ams, admittedly, in my later model cars I have stuck with Delphi and AC Delco on the upstream sensors from recommended information I read by others on various forums. I have not personally had a bad O2 sensor experience from BOSCH (but I know others on the forums have, just an FYI).

Sorry for the long winded answer.... You asked

Old 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM
1 Year Member

My plugs arent BOSCH...I got mine from O'Reillys and the brand that I have is Champion

Old 12-21-2011, 03:48 PM
1 Year Member

Well guys....its not my Fuel pressure regulator..I took it to the shop so the guy cud put it on the machine and it read all kinda stuff. I'm not giving up on the SS ppl..to much of a good car.Once again it was reading Knock Sensor 1 and 2....Crank sensor (already replace that), The guy told me to try the fuel filter first (which I already did a while ago) but hey who knows...it could be it....

Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 PM

10 Year Member

Is it throwing any engine codes, if so, what are the actual codes?? Also, depending what scan tool your mechanic has, even if the check/service engine soon lights are not on, he might be able to access other parts of the system. Such as an internal diagnostic has to fail x amount of times before a light on the dash is triggered. I have access to a Snap-On scan tool that can tell me codes triggered since last time they were cleared, codes thrown this ignition cycle and a host of other data.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Maniac, thanks for the reply.
I double checked, and I did swap over to Autolites, but kept Bosch wires. ! Phew!!

IAC - Idle Air Control sensor.
That's what I changed also when mine was acting up!

One thing I found out with mine, and don't know if this applies to all; when I changed my MAF sensor I unplugged the battery for half an hour thinking it would erase the code, the check engine light WAS OFF but still came up for the autozone check, I had a buddy of mine personally take the code off!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 PM
1 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Is it throwing any engine codes, if so, what are the actual codes?? Also, depending what scan tool your mechanic has, even if the check/service engine soon lights are not on, he might be able to access other parts of the system. Such as an internal diagnostic has to fail x amount of times before a light on the dash is triggered. I have access to a Snap-On scan tool that can tell me codes triggered since last time they were cleared, codes thrown this ignition cycle and a host of other data.

no it didn't give any type of engine codes. Do you think its best for me to just take it to a chevy shop since they built the car and put it on there machine....they'll only charge me 25 to 50 bucks to check it