Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Monte not starting =[

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Exclamation Monte not starting =[

So yeahh big problem today,,,as if i dont have enough problem going on in my life right now. Went tanning today down the street from my house and the monte started up fine like usual and drove down the road like usual. well i get done tanning and go outside into the freezing weather, get into the monte, try to start it and nothing. battery was fine because all the gauges and everything lit up when you turned the key but then when i went to actually start up the car it would crank but wouldn't ignite. tried it several times. got out and checked the oil and it was fine. got the car to start twice, one time it was making a noise and causing the entire car to jerk and the second time it wasn't jerking but it didnt sound good. tried to start it probably 20 times but it only ignited those 2 times i have nooo idea whats wrong with it but my dad had the guy who usually does the towing for our business tow the monte (with much difficulty) to the shop and now i gotta go to the shop early in the morning with my dad and try to figure out whats wrong with her any ideas? i'm thinking maybe starter, fuel pump or injectors, or some sort of ECU problem...

Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

that sucks, how many miles on it? could be a catalytic converter issue, that would make it run rough!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:55 PM

oh no!

that sounds real similar to what my 99 did when the fuel pump went out. i had a few days prior to it going out completely though where it would very briefly sound strange and then pick back up and seem normal again. then one night got in it to leave and nothing. couple more tries and it would start and idle really rough and die, then not start again, etc.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Default won't start........

Hey Britt,
I'm no mechanic but it could be the fuel pump. It's cranking ? But no fire.
Clogged injectors ? I am also thinking a timing issue. Did you hit any bad water
puddles ? With ALLL the snow that everyone is getting now something may have
gotten shorted out..
Lucky You that you have shop to rely on. She'll be o.k.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 PM

she's just turned over 38,100 miles but she's like 6 years old and idk if it has to do with going from warm humid weather in florida, not being driving in almost 2 months, then being driven in below freezing weather up here or what. and it had like NO warning signs at all! it's been running beautifully. there was one time, the first day it was back in missouri and ran for the first time in almost 2 months, where it randomly died as i was rolling out of the driveway but that was a few weeks ago and its been great ever since so i have no idea =[ it's soo depressing though

Old 02-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sorry, I doubt it is what I said! just the usual from what I see here!

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 02-10-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by nascar43
Hey Britt,
I'm no mechanic but it could be the fuel pump. It's cranking ? But no fire.
Clogged injectors ? I am also thinking a timing issue. Did you hit any bad water
puddles ? With ALLL the snow that everyone is getting now something may have
gotten shorted out..
Lucky You that you have shop to rely on. She'll be o.k.
yup no fire. soo strange. i dont think so bcuz i havent been driving her much at all lately. i didnt drive her at all yesterday, drove her for like 5 min today, and i didnt drive around much on monday so i cant imagine me hitting any water puddles. yeahh i hope so my dad isnt letting me come to the shop tomorrow afterall bcuz he doesnt want me to sit there and stare at her all day depressed until he finds whats going on with her

Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
sorry, I doubt it is what I said! just the usual from what I see here!
its cool. i'm just depressed about it since i just got her back like a week ago and now this happens and now i'm determined to figure out whats wrong. it reallyy sucks bcuz i really needed a car to do some stuff for the next few days

Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 PM

you may have burned up the starter firing it up that many time in a shot period. but i cant beleve its running rough and your not getting a flashing check engine light.

i read b4 that you had to put lower octane gas in there, or maybe discconect the SC. i believe your car requires 93.

also if it was sitting for a long time your battery may be cold and not putting the required amount of juice to spark.

also the alternator may be going if it starts but runs rough.

idk GL check your plugs and wires.

i know that some premium wires have a teflon coating [i belive] that can crack when its cold and cause missfire.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Default won't start.........

..two other things I just thought of.
One : Bad Gas. It happens sometimes......
Two : Condensation in the tank ?...

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Monte not starting =[