Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Monte Carlo won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Default Monte Carlo won't turn over

Car won't turn over changed the starter and the ignition the security light is NOT flashing what should I check please help

Old 04-29-2018, 04:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Make sure your connections are proper and good and tight.
The ground may be the culprit it usually is.
Check and refasten all ground connections, clean them as well. They need to be on bare metal not painted or corroded.
If the battery is old it may need to be replaced it should test out at 12.8 to 14.4 volts if not it's probably bad and will keep giving problems.
Just for the FYI did you disconnect the battery when you changed out the starter? If not you may have a fuse that blew somewhere too.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:07 PM

If you have checked what Driver #3 has suggested and it still don't work. And confirmed that security light isn't on. The security key switch goes into the BCM and confirms everything is ok then sends a ground to the crank relay (upper fuse box under hood) which then sends power to the purple wire on the starter solenoid. Can check the crank relay might be able to swap out with a fan relay from lower fuse block .

Old 04-29-2018, 11:08 PM

I did disconnect the battery when I changed the starter and I swapped the relays before I did the starter now my radio and lights won't turn off unless I unhook the battery???? Can it be the BCM the car always says my coolant level is low even after I replaced the coolant level sensor

Old 04-29-2018, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Make sure your connections are proper and good and tight.
The ground may be the culprit it usually is.
Check and refasten all ground connections, clean them as well. They need to be on bare metal not painted or corroded.
If the battery is old it may need to be replaced it should test out at 12.8 to 14.4 volts if not it's probably bad and will keep giving problems.
Just for the FYI did you disconnect the battery when you changed out the starter? If not you may have a fuse that blew somewhere too.
Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
If you have checked what Driver #3 has suggested and it still don't work. And confirmed that security light isn't on. The security key switch goes into the BCM and confirms everything is ok then sends a ground to the crank relay (upper fuse box under hood) which then sends power to the purple wire on the starter solenoid. Can check the crank relay might be able to swap out with a fan relay from lower fuse block .
Originally Posted by Anthony Ramirez
I did disconnect the battery when I changed the starter and I swapped the relays before I did the starter now my radio and lights won't turn off unless I unhook the battery???? Can it be the BCM the car always says my coolant level is low even after I replaced the coolant level sensor
And my fuel gauge is either on full or empty

Old 04-30-2018, 06:51 AM

I"m not sure how to diagnose a BCM but maybe someone else in here can help you. Was there power at two of the pins of the crank relay ?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:38 AM

Haven't checked

Old 05-02-2018, 07:01 AM

Have you checked if the key switch is sending power to the BCM when you twist it into the start position ?