Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Monte Carlo SS 05' Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 10:29 AM
Question Monte Carlo SS 05' Leak

This is a project car i bought not too long ago, i went to a mechanic and he told me its either a Head gasket leak or a some sort of value leak if anyone is 100% sure or just knows what they are talking about, can you please give me some direction on what to do or what needs to be done i just need help, its also old oil build up at the bottom near the oil pan/ on the oil pan i don't know if that can help with anything i'm just noting every problem that could possibly coordinated with the main problem

P.S the leak is right below the alternator

Old 04-11-2024, 12:48 PM

If the dampness shown is the main concern, that's not a head gasket leak - it's way too high on the engine.

As someone mentioned in your previous thread, the plastic coolant elbows are a notorious failure point and are right there under the alternator. That certainly would be the #1 suspicion without having any other data.

But I still stand by what I'd mentioned in your other thread- Id take the time to clean all of that gunk off (carb cleaner, pressure washer, etc) first as it'll make it much easier to see where its coming from- not to mention when you go to actually repair it. Same with oil build up on the bottom - could be a main seal, could be VC gaskets, etc etc - but starting with 100% clean surface will make the leak path more apparent.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
If the dampness shown is the main concern, that's not a head gasket leak - it's way too high on the engine.

As someone mentioned in your previous thread, the plastic coolant elbows are a notorious failure point and are right there under the alternator. That certainly would be the #1 suspicion without having any other data.

But I still stand by what I'd mentioned in your other thread- Id take the time to clean all of that gunk off (carb cleaner, pressure washer, etc) first as it'll make it much easier to see where its coming from- not to mention when you go to actually repair it. Same with oil build up on the bottom - could be a main seal, could be VC gaskets, etc etc - but starting with 100% clean surface will make the leak path more apparent.

I have a question, do you think its possible for it to be some sorta oil leak? while i cleaning it off it appears as this

Old 04-13-2024, 06:41 PM

It's certainly possible. Is the supercharger still full of oil? It's rare for them to leak, but not impossible. All of its oil is held up front in that snout area.

Also depending where that swipe was from, could be engine oil coming out of the LIM valley end gaskets.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 04-13-2024 at 07:01 PM.