Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Monte Carlo passlock

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Default Monte Carlo passlock

Hello..Car guys. I have a monte Carlo 2002. The dreded passlock issue has me in a Pickle. I have tried the resistor bypass..No help. Tried the yellow wire switch trick no help..It appears as though I cant not get the system to relearn the new Value. I tried the relearn as instructed. The security light NEVER goes out. I wait 10 even 20 minutes never goes out...Any help would be awesome..Thanks MG

Old 09-19-2015, 04:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Before starting with anything, did something change for PassLoc to activate?

Old 09-19-2015, 06:20 PM

As near as I can tell Nothing changed. After trying the resistor bypass which I could not get to work (The relearn would not complete) Security light never went off . I needed the car badly...I got it to start..Let it run for about 5 minutes then I cut the yellow wire. After doing so the security light can on and stayed on. Shut down car and restarted abot 5 times. Started right up security light on..(fail enable I believe) Took a drive thinking all was well.Shut car off at 7-11 Car did not restart...Walked home.Left car at 7-11. Walked back 3 hrs later. Started right up...Very frustrating.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:25 PM

10 Year Member

I believe I heard rumor of putting a resistor in line on part of the passlock system, but the issue is, you need to know the resistance/voltage that passlock on your car is looking for (as the resistor is to trick the system into validating passlock is enabled). I have installed two different remote start units, one unit had a self learning module for passlock and the other had you do a check with a volt meter to set the resistance. Bottom line, the resistance is different per car.

As for cutting the yellow wire and the resistor, put the car back the way it should be if you haven't all ready.

Below are the exact steps for a security relearn from the GM shop book itself. On step 3, from my experience with this relearn, it should take 10-15 minutes (if you wait beyond 15 and the security notice has not stopped you are either doing something wrong or it's not working for this problem).

If you follow those steps below and it's not working, you are going to need a scan tool (and a GM TechII may be the only one for this) that can access the security system in the car and determine what is wrong. Potentially, you might have a PassLock chip that has failed and needs replaced.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  1. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  2. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

Old 09-19-2015, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the reply....I have seen and tried the information that you have provided. I can never get the relearn to complete. I have tried to measure the ohm value with a fluke didgital multimeter. the readings I am getting..(MEG Ohms) Dont fit the expected value of 470 to 11k ohms...I am thinking the issue lies with the Passlock sensor itself..(loading the circuit) or the BCM is perhaps having issues...Hoping that mabe someone has fought this fight before..?

Old 09-20-2015, 08:02 AM

10 Year Member

You are out of my realm at this point. If that security light won't go out, I'm willing to bet it has a code stored in the system (and most generic ODB-II tools probably can't access that code). A GM TechII I believe can force the relearn without spending the time with the process posted. I believe PassLock has three pieces involved in starting the car:
- PCM
- BCM
- The chip on the lock cylinder (not to be confused with the key, our keys do NOT have chips and the lock cylinder is NOT the ignition switch, it is a separate part).

I wonder if the chip in the lock cylinder has failed. Unfortunately, I really think you might be in dealer territory to resolve this.