Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): monte carlo 2001 ls suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 07:31 PM
Default monte carlo 2001 ls suspension help

Hey all, i am at the end of my patience with my car. But i love it so I keep wanting to fix it. Except now i have an issue with a squeaking noise from the rear. It sound like bad bed springs that make noise when jumping on a bed over and over. The problem is I have changed both control bars, the sway bar and its bushings, 2 struts are pretty much new (1 is within 2 months and the other is within a year. Passenger side was changed at the 4th attempt at fixing this noise). My mechanic is saying everything is new but its still makes that squeaking noise that can wake a neighborhood. He has tried to add lubricant several times and it may last for maybe 20min to an hour then start right back up. If anyone has had any similar issues to what i am hopefully describing correctly and knows what my mechanic seems to not know youd be saving my sanity and keeping my car with its owner 😊. Thank you all in advance

Old 10-24-2022, 08:45 AM

Can you describe when the noise occurs (how severe of a bump, how fast your going, etc)?

Can someone lay underneath it (car off, wheels chocked of course) while someone else bounces from the trunk? It would be very helpful to have your face right down there by the parts as they cycle. If it needs major bumps to occur, you could always jack it up, pull the wheel off, take the sturt out and cycle the hub assembly from min to max position by hand to see if you hear anything.

You mentioned you replaced both 'control arms', what part are you talking about specifically? There are 3 bars that connect to each rear hub - 2x lateral arms, and 1x trailing arm. Do they all have new bushings?

I know they're two totally different noises - but you're 100% sure its not the wheel hubs, right?

All bolts are confirmed torqued to spec?

Old 10-24-2022, 12:30 PM

The noise seems to happen at anything less than 35mph. Any faster it seems to gets drowned out. Ive even just let my foot off the accelerator at a light and its heard. Smooth or bumpy. Its just 100% constant.

The two arms that were replaced were the lateral arms and all bushings were replaced. That last bit of info i had to get from the mechanic.

Its interesting that you bring up the wheel. Its definitely something i have brought up but he has shot it down. Actually 30min ago I even asked about maybe bad bushing, ball joint or a bad sway bar (its always possible even new can be faulty) and that was shot down. Lot of things getting shot down and nothing getting fixed.

I was under the car when this issue started and it all seemed to come from the sway bar area. Still all coming from the same place. Could there be a crack causing this where the sway bar goes? Maybe rust?
i dont want to give up on this car.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:03 PM

Try moving the sway bar side to side... I had an issue that sounds similar to yours and it ended up being the sway bar bushing.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:11 PM

The upside to the sway bar is it isn't 100% necessary for operation- especially since it happens at lower speeds. You could always just pop it off completely and go for a quick drive.