Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

monte acting weird.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:29 AM
Default monte acting weird.

I go to work today in my SS and its never givin me a hint of trouble ever. I go to get on the highway and the car wont go past 70MPH and the RPM wont go past 4000 and then the ceck engine light starts flashing not on but flashing. I think its a miss fire but im not sure. anyone got any sugesitons.????? also can anyone post a link to were I can find a pare the upper motor mounts or tourqe struts. I need a pare and no auotpart stock can seem to find any for me.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Default RE: monte acting weird.

Does the vehicle seem to shift hard, or have any other problems? You should be able to get past 70 mph in 2nd gear... my 3.9 does 90 in second. at worst maybe it's lost a bit of power and needs 3rd...

If the Engine light is on, definitely bring it to an auto store, they can get the code for you for free. See what the code means but don't take it for granted that it's simple as pie that the code means you need to do this... talk to a mechanic (like some of them here on the board) first. Heck talk to a couple...

Old 09-14-2007, 03:47 PM

no the car does not shift hard. the car idels as smooth as the day i got it. its just for somereason the engine wont let me go past 75 it almost as if im hitting a rev limiter. and the engine light just blinks and goes off it will stay on for a few hours but then shut off.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:57 PM

It sure sounds like the car has thrown a code of some kind. Get it checked out ASAP, could be something simple. But then again maybe not. Not worth the chance of whatever the problem is getting worse.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:09 PM

May help if you try to get to an auto shop before the engine light turns off, so don't turn the car off or anything, just go in, looking like it's urgent, and ask them for a quick code scan.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Do you have over 100k miles.

Maybe your cat is starting to get plugged up.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

May help if you try to get to an auto shop before the engine light turns off, so don't turn the car off or anything, just go in, looking like it's urgent, and ask them for a quick code scan.
If the code comes up as a misfire in a cylider, your valves could be overheating caused by a bad cat.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

Do you have over 100k miles.

Maybe your cat is starting to get plugged up.
Dude you hit the nail right on the head. I took it to a shop and they hooked it up. and they though it was a EGR wasnt. Then I get a call saying that my cat plugged. They replaced the cat and WOW the car has never ran this good. I never thought the car had that much pep. Thanks to everyone who chiped in advice. The monte is running great and better than ever.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:14 PM

props for the gpd d00d

Old 09-23-2007, 01:37 PM

After reading all these cat problems I'm starting to think I should just pull my hi-flow cat even and just go straight pipe.

Quick Reply: monte acting weird.