Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Major Problem Worth Resolving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Default Major Problem Worth Resolving?

I recently purchased my first Monte Carlo. 2005 LS 3400. I was excited to start checking things out under the hood and it didn't take long to realize I had a problem. I changed my oil, and oil filter, and surprisingly it looked clean, not bad....went to check the air filter, pretty clean...not bad.....then I pulled off the radiator cap and there it was, brown dirty mud and water. I looked over to the coolant reservoir and it was empty. I've read a lot about LIM gaskets being bad and replacing them and all, but I also read this is a recurring problem with the 3400. Is it worth the $800-$1000 to fix or would it be best to sell it and buy another vehicle(newer monte)? It only has 23,000 miles on it, and the breaks are starting to go too, so I'm so frustrated. I was wondering if it would be best to sell and start over or if it is possible to fix this without having future issues? I wouldn't be able to do the work myself because I don't have enough experience nor do I know anyone in the area who I would trust who does. Any and all input would greatly be appreciated as I'm thinking of doing this within the next couple days. Thank You

Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Default RE: Major Problem Worth Resolving?

Chevy is fixing them under the Settlement of the Class Action regarding the problem in the DexCool Class Action Settlement.

You need to call Chevy Customer Service and tell them that your Gasket Failed. YOU > TELL the Rep. to issue you a Claim Number. Don't take NO for an answer. Do not end your call Customer Service without being issued SOME "Case Number" you can refer to.

THEN, take it to the Dealer and tell them you have spoken to Chevy and you want to have your car evaluated for inclusion in the Settlement.
Thank me later.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 PM

Thank you in advance. I will be sure to reach out to chevrolet tomorrow. It also makesa very odd water running/waterfall like noise when I push the gas sometimes too, any ideas what that may be? Thanks again for all the help, its greatly appreciated.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 AM

I use to get that sound but it went away. I thought I had fluid in one of my tires or something. Sounded like water swishing around when I accelerater from a stop or slowed to a stop.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: LVMonte05

Thank you in advance. I will be sure to reach out to chevrolet tomorrow. It also makesa very odd water running/waterfall like noise when I push the gas sometimes too, any ideas what that may be? Thanks again for all the help, its greatly appreciated.
Is the sound coming from behind the dash? It might be an air pocket in the heating coil.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:41 AM

Yes. How do I fix that? I tried flushing the radiator, and in doing so noticed that my car doesn't produce heat. Now it is overheating severely. Any thoughts?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:21 AM

Never mind the heat issue, I forgot to put the air dam back on. Didn't realize it was such a sensitive radiator! I still have the stupid water noise behind the steering column, any ideas how to get rid of that?