Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Lubricating ignition key slot: bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 05:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Lubricating ignition key slot: bad idea?

I'm toying with the idea of adding a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil to my Monte's ignition key to help it move into (and out of) the slot more easily and quickly. It always goes in and works, but it just feels rather tight and slower to push in and pull out than what I'm used to with other cars.

Might the lubricating oil interfere with the little black PASS-Key resistor pellet on the key, and/or its matching sensor inside the cylinder? Or could something else go wrong by introducing some oil? Maybe there's a better lubricant to use for this? Otherwise, the key and the cylinder is working just fine.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would not use an oil based product to lube the ignition, it could change the resistance and possibly trip the pass lock system. My mechanic uses the dry graphite on ignition switches and oil based on car door / trunk keyed entry locks.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Zippy, a little dry graphite is probably what I'll use when I get around to it. Just wondering though, would a little WD-40 work as well? I heard a while back from an old mechanic that it's electrically conductive, though I don't know if that would be a good or bad thing in this case.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sidestreet
Thanks Zippy, a little dry graphite is probably what I'll use when I get around to it. Just wondering though, would a little WD-40 work as well? I heard a while back from an old mechanic that it's electrically conductive, though I don't know if that would be a good or bad thing in this case.
I would go with the dry graphite suggested as WD-40 isn't a long term lubricant. You would be back to the same issue in a weeks time or less.