Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Low tire pressure warning light

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Default Low tire pressure warning light

Hi, Is there a way to re-set the warning light and the light stay out permanently? I tried the lights and radio. The light method beeps then the light goes out. However, it came right back on. The tires are all good tire pressure but the light will not stay out. I am assuming one or more of the sensors in the wheels is bad. However, How do you know which wheel sensor is bad if it does not indicate on the warning light?
Thanks in advance and I appreciate any advise from someone whom had this same problem!

Tom

Old 12-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Default Follow-up tire pressure warn light

Hi, I took it to my buddy who owns a repair shop. he hooked his scanner up to it and he was able to re-set the light and clear the code. Drove it home and the light came back on warning low Tire pressure. Buddy told me only a dealer can hook up to Dealer computer to determine which sensor is bad in what wheel? Has anyone had this issue and if so what can I do minus going to the dealer who advised it is 65.00 to hook it up to machine to tell me which sensor is bad. Is there a way to disconnect the sensors so it does not register with the PCM? Thanks
Tom

Old 12-08-2014, 05:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The 00-05 Monte does not have valve stem sensors to detect tire pressure. They use the ABS wheel speed sensor and it's based off a calibration and determines low pressure based on a change in wheel speed/rotation.

Clearing via the radio is how to reset the tire monitoring system once you have verified the tires are properly inflated. You mentioned that your buddy cleared a code? Did he check the ABS computer and see if there were any potential ABS codes (if so, this may help determine your issue).

If your friend has a professional grade scan tool (such as I've got access to a Snap-On and OTC professional scan tools), he should be able to record drive data. Clear the tire warning, set the tool to record all 4 ABS wheel speed sensors, go for a drive. After a short drive and the tire pressure light comes on, review the speed data frame by frame. You'll be looking for 1 of the 4 sensors to have a different reading then the rest. Typically this results in an ABS code, but perhaps it's just that combo of weird to trip the low pressure, but not an ABS code.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 PM

Thanks Jason, I am going to see him tomorrow, I will bring your reply with me to show him. I appreciate your reply.
Tom

Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 PM

10 Year Member

no problem, best of luck.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:57 PM

Update: Went to Shop today, shop got "Tier II" scanner and ran scan on car. Had no ABS codes in it at all. Cleared light and after turned key on to restart car, the light immediately came back on. Looked in stored data and all four sensors were equal with none of them being different. So diagnosed not a tire sensor. Called Gm and GM service manager at dealer advised there is a "bulletin" for 2001 Monte Carlos which have a "hard fault" tire pressure warning light which will not go out. They said the Electronic Brake control module is to be replaced with a new one which has an updated software added to it to remedy the erroneous low tire pressure light. Problem for me is you have to buy it for $1,000 dollars and then it has to be programed by the dealer to be put in your car. Dealer provided part number as: "DN 12214529" or 12214530 or 122214531. Have you Jason or anyone else ever had this issue? I had all new brake lines, fuel line and filter, valve cover gaskets, radiator flush to green, front hub bearing and now I have this issue with the tire pressure warning light. I am told in my radio and settings to reset the light, there is no where in the setting in the radio to reset the tire pressure light. You can do it by the headlights and it will reset, but it immediately comes right back on.
Does anyone know how to disable the warning light from the electronic brake control module? That would be the easiest and cheapest way to get rid of a light that is not working. Everything else on the car works fine?

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 PM

Is that how you all reset your light (via radio)? I've been using the push/pull method on my light switch if I get it...

Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Well Im told you can do it by both but mine does not have the option on the radio. SO I can clear the light wight he light method also. But then it comes right back on.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:43 PM

10 Year Member

I can reset my TPMS, program key fobs, reset oil life and a couple other things via the radio. But it depends on the radio. If your radio looks like the one below, you should be able to do these things via the radio. Turn the key to the on position, radio off, press and hold the DISP button (take about 30 seconds). Cycle the menus with the Seek buttons, sub menus/options with the Prev/Next buttons and DISP to confirm your selections.

As for the EBCM, interesting and good to know. I search online and found a TSB 01-03-10-008A matching that information. I have not replaced an EBCM since my '94 Grand Am (and that was plug-in-play, no programming). I looked it up for an '01 Monte and it looks plug-in-play on that too. I see nothing in the shop book talking about programming. The EBCM does not tie to PassLock, so I'm not sure where any programming comes from.
If I were you, I'd try sourcing the correct part number EBCM from a salvage yard and swap it yourself. On eBay, they look pretty cheap (but I can't confirm part numbers).

Old 12-10-2014, 03:08 PM

I'll keep you updated, Thanks Tom

Quick Reply: Low tire pressure warning light