Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Low Coolant Level Message

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Default temp R-line

If you temp goes up to or to red line after starting your Monte and you have a new thermostat, the new thermostat could be having problems. A thermostat does not go from closed to wide open immediately takes some hot coolant flow. Your heater core should circulate engine coolant before the thermostat opens. You can check this by feeling the hose feeding the heater core after start up giving the engine time to heat the coolant.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:30 PM

Ignore the overflow. Check the level in the radiator. Why cant you check the level in the radiator? Sounds like you have a bad cap. You didnt use an intrigue radiator did you?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 AM
1 Year Member

Just an FYI - Turns out the issue was the coolant elbows. Lower elbow was cracked and fell apart as soon as we got the water pump removed. Replaced with aluminum elbows and all has been good since then. This was done on 12/21.

I am so happy it wasn't the manifold gasket.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 AM
1 Year Member

Cap is fine. It was tested during the pressure testing phase.

I was just being stupid and not pressing down and then turning the cap.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Skurpio
1 - Does this sensor monitor coolant level in the reservoir or in the radiator?

2 - If the level is low in the radiator is the system supposed to pull from the reservoir or is the reservoir only there to hold overflow from the radiator?

I guess what I'm asking is this...does the coolant system run both ways using the reservoir?

Timeline:
Vehicle purchased May 2013
Radiator Fan assembly replaced; coolant flushed; t-stat replaced; upper and lower hoses replaced July 2013
Radiator replaced November 2013

Fan assembly replaced due to codes and failure of passenger side fan; decided on tstat and coolant flush and hoses to be on safe side

Radiator replaced due to hit and run on my monte. Radiator popped a seam (or something) enough to cause a serious leak. INS company wouldn't pony up for radiator (but that's another story). Replaced radiator out of pocket.

Issues:
-Temp gauge shooting up to redline (hit redline this AM for first time)
-Monitoring temp with Scanner and guage is accurate
-Low Coolant Level message intermittently
-Temp will spike intermittently
-Heat from vents most of the time but not always...intermittently blows cool air
-No leaks noticed...nothing on driveway or in parking spots
-Reservoir is full (overfull)

Neighbor has pressure tester...will test soon. Been 20~ degrees lately in Wash DC area.

2002 Monte SS
144000~ Miles

since you have the 3800, the likely cause of your issue is one or both of the following....

bad upper/lower intake gaskets and/or deformed plastic upper intake around the EGR port.

if you do not see any leaks (yet), i would bet money that this is your issue.

hahha, didnt notice you had already figured it out.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:27 PM

My Monte needs the Coolant Level Sensor replaced/cleaned also but I don't have a place to allow antifreeze to run on the ground and be able to clean it so animals don't drink it.

How much antifreeze will pour out of the side of the radiator when that sensor is removed? Furthermore, what is the method to safely and easily remove that sensor? Haynes manual says NOTHING about how to remove it. Does it just pull out? Do I need to remove the retaining ring I see pictured on the new sensor?

I want to replace it myself to save the money but I want to know how much radiator fluid I need to catch.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello, watch this You Tube video, it's for an Impala, but is essentially the very same as our Monte Carlo's. I bet not more than a pint of fluid will be lost at most, get a water hose and blast away any spilled coolant. Best of luck, let us know how it turned out.

Link below to You Tube video:

Old 08-24-2022, 07:29 PM
Default Low coolant warning

Hi, I recently freshen up my coolant system (new seals and hoses) while replacing a lower intake manifold gasket. I having a similar problem with my low coolant warning coming up intermediately (becoming more consistent now). I have flushed my system multiple times and replaced the sensor but it didnt change anything when i started everything up again. For context I had a small issue where a unsecured pipe came loose most likely sucking air into the system but was able to fix it quickly. Is it possible that its something besides the sensor that would be causing the warning to come up? Should i try a 3rd sensor maybe I had bad luck on a bad sensor?
Advice would be much welcomed I am very stumped.

Thanks