Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Leaking Refrigerant, oil and transmission stumble!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Red face Leaking Refrigerant, oil and transmission stumble!

Finally got my cooling system to act properly ( installed a cast iron blade pump ). Now I'm moving on to more of the subtle problems.

Problem 1- When taking off from maybe 10-20 mph the car stumbles as if the gears are slipping or maybe the engine not sure. If I let off the gas completely and then press on the gas again (same distance to the floor) this cures it 99% of the time. The car does surge very little sometimes at idle ( maybe 100 rmps or so but you can feel it in the brake pedal)
Here is what is new/replaced
Sparkplugs, wires, airfilter, fuel injector gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, plenum gasket, transmission fluid/filter. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? My next thing to replace is the gas filter...

Problem 2- The car does leak oil, most of the times is a small drop which equals about half a quart a week. The shop said they found a leak at an o-ring by the distributor but said in order to get to it the top end must be removed. Any idea on this procedure?

Problem 3 - Last summer I filled the refrigerant and it worked well for maybe a month or two then slowly got warmer. My guess is there is a leak somewhere ( hopefully not the compressor) what is the best way to find a leak in that system?

Problem 4- Sun roof apparently goes to about half way and gets stuck. Brother had the fuse pulled and it is in the closed position now. Did find a site that sells a part that they say fails in these bad boys, the url is http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/9599montecarlo.htm. Any ideas?

Thanks guys and sorry this post is so freaking long!

Matt

Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 PM

well i can't address all your issues but i can throw my 2 cents in.

problem 2- i had a very similar leak on a lumina i had. you are correct, it's coming out of where the distributor used to be on earlier models. it's a huge hassle to get at it so i took it to a shop to get fixed.

problem 3- if you want to find the leak, mix up a bucket of soapy water (i use dish soap) and brush the mixture on all the joints/connections on your AC system. when the system is under pressure, and there's a leak, it will form bubbles at the location of the leak. you can buy leak detector liquid at a parts store that will do the same thing, but this is a cheaper method that works just as well. lots of times i'll use the soapy water trick to find leaks in tires. hope this helps and good luck!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM

when you put the freon in did you purge the system first.my mechanic put in the dye and found a small leak under dash.he told me it would be cheper just to add freon/134a when needed had to do this last summer.also had upper and lower intake and manifold gaskets done also new plenium gasket very common on the montecarlo .that is alot of oil you are losing.