Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

l36 lim job

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default l36 lim job

Any instructions or tips for replacing the lim gaskets?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Yeah do the HVII why you're at it...lol.

jk...

You'll need the coolant elbows, might as well do em while you are there.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 PM

I have a write up but will have to find it when I get home...sorry.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 PM

i got a hv3. yeah need to get the coolant elbows tomorrow, also do i need threadlocker or is there an equivlant, and i should probably replace the belt since you need to remove it which one do i need?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't have any instructions, but I never used thread lock on that job (you could though, but not a requirement). Replacing the elbows, definitely. Inspect the belt. If you know it's old, replace it.

Also.... Get the FelPro aluminum gaskets, don't mess with the nylon stuff.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 AM

i used gm gaskets for the lim and felpro for the uim took about 6-7hrs with help from a member at the grandprix forums and a couple runs to the auto store. i used a little bit of copper rtv on the lim on each of the corners. i did lim uim , rear valve cover gasket(not sure what torx bit size you need to remove the coil bracket so you can access the front valve cover), coolant elbows. All thats left to do is replace the belt and radiator hoses and get a coolant bleeder screw. My lim gaskets didnt look to bad after 13 years, i post some pics up later

Old 02-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I could only find Bleeder screws at the dealership and they were about $10 a piece. Of course both of mine were corroded shut and snapped at different times.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 PM

i got mine at advance auto dorman 902-112

ughh long day. after fighting with the lower radiator hose for about an hr replacing the belt and rear brakes we ready to call it a day and fire the car up. of course nothing goes as planned. started her up boom coolant leak near uim and throttle body as well as the thermostat housing. figured we didnt tighten down everything redo it start the car up again still leaking so my friend looks and sees that the oring portion in the uim is not sitting flushed, so after gettin the gasket lined up again we started the car still leaking. this is where copper rtv is you friend put it on the orings and the thermostat housing finally started car and no leaks. so all is well, no of course not because we cant get this stupid pcv and cover on to close properly for some reason the spring wont compress far enough for me to cap twist and lock

Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 PM

my lim after 13 years and 67k miles

heres one of the old gaskets

Old 02-12-2012, 04:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I was not having LIM related issues with my Monte when I put a Port Matched LIM on (about 60,000 miles on the entire car), but my old nylon gasket looked almost identical. The hot coolant had destroyed the support for the coolant passages on it. The nylon material is junk. It does not matter if you run the trusty green stuff OR the modern Dex cool, nylon fails, it was a horrible gasket material, hence why I recommend the aluminum gaskets.

Quick Reply: l36 lim job