Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ISS Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Default ISS Ordered

Last week took the Monte in to the dealerhave the steering checked as I felt a flexing type feel in the steering column and a odd noise. After a few minutes they said that it is the Intermeditate Steering Shaft problem that plages GM vehicles. The dealer ordered a new one and will do the repair under warranty. My question is: Will the new ISS be a better upgraded part or will the problem show it's ugly head again after warranty because it is just a replacement shaft? Anybody had the replacement done? Care to comment?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Default RE: ISS Ordered

Since it's been a few days since I posted on the ISS subject and I have not had a response I figure it must be a subject that has been beaten to death, and I've been on another planet for a while and didn't know.
Well, I took the car into the dealer today to have the new ISS installed and it is a new design and made by a different manufacture for GM. Although it does not have a grease nipple on it, it seems that the new design will solve the problem, according to the service advisor and the Chevy tech in the shop.
I hope they are right. I haven't heard that anyone had a problem with this newer design yet.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

As far as we can determine here on this forum. It is not a updated part.

An updated part would ideally have a Zircon fitting to ease the lubrication process.

I have had 2 replace and I still have the problem return every 15k miles.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Oh yeah, my service writer, who I've become very acquainted with, doesn't think the problem will ever be fixed.

Good luck with your repair.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 PM

Awesome when Service Advisors are clueless or will tell you anything to get you out the door and on your way.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:23 PM

I hope they are telling me the truth, but you never know. The part number they installed is 19179922, and the paper work says updated shaft, so it could be the same part number as the old but just from a different supplier. I really don't know. Maybe it's a new part number. What does your paper work say when you had your replaced?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 AM

I had my ISS replaced around 20,000 miles and once again around 42,000 miles. I started feeling a little click in the steering again so i took it to my local mechanic and he feels its the ISS again. He is checking it over today and if it is the ISS he wants me to go back to the dealership and see what they say about it. Has anyone gone the step farther and contacted GM about the problem???

Old 03-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Was yours under warranty the first time it was changed out?
It will be interesting to hear what the dealership has to say about yours going out for the third time. Contacting GM is a good idea, although I didn't go that route. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:19 PM

yeah the first time i got it replaced it was under warranty. the second time was in dec of 07 and i had to shell out $230 to have it replaced.i just got my car back from my local mechanic and he said it is the ISS again so i will be contacting the dealership monday to see what they say. I will keep youposted on how it goes.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

GM knows they have a problem but won't address it.

Quick Reply: ISS Ordered