Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Intermittent Blower

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Default Intermittent Blower

Hi,

I have 2 issues which may or may not be related. About a month ago, I started my 2003 SS (just hit 100k) and the information center didn't come on. Then, when I turned on the blower fan for the heat, it didn't work either. After about 5 minutes, the information center came on, but the blower still wasn't working. After about 10 more minutes, the blower finally started working.

This has happened numerous times since then. I've replaced the blower motor resistor pack (the lowest fan speed never worked anyway...now this is fixed), and I just replaced the blower control unit with one from a scrap yard (the lights work on this one!). I suspect a short/loose wiring, but I don't even know where to look. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 03-16-2009, 01:40 PM

well if you have replaced them then u know what connectors to start with...get urself a manual and follow it from there

Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM

I wouldn't necessarily trust the one from the wrecking yard. Those modules are sensitive. Just my opinion.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 AM

I was hoping that someone else may have had this problem and could post how they fixed it. I dont' really believe that this problem is unique to my car.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i was gonna say sounds like a blower motor resistor
i always recomend never to get anything from the wreckers, always buy aftermarket from an auto parts store, its not usually that much more

Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM

I thought by blower he meant supercharger. Thinking how the heck does your supercharger work intermittently?

Back to topic: Are you referring to the information center by the rear view mirror that comes on after 5 min? I can't think of any other information centers but I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 04 Intimidator
Back to topic: Are you referring to the information center by the rear view mirror that comes on after 5 min? I can't think of any other information centers but I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. Any ideas?

I did come acrossed a thread where someone had a similar problem and suggested the ignition switch connections might need cleaning/retightening. I might try that this weekend.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by jed992
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. Any ideas?

I did come acrossed a thread where someone had a similar problem and suggested the ignition switch connections might need cleaning/retightening. I might try that this weekend.

hey man im kinda having the same problem, with my 03 ss. where i go and put my key in the ignition, and i turn it to on or i start it which ever. but then i see on my dash that the cruse light is on (when it shouldn't be), and the message thing on the roof dont come on, and my heater dont work. then after a min or 2 goes by and it will all start working again. but if i hit the top of the dash, it works right away. so im just wondering if you, or anyone know/had this happen to them so i know which way to go with this. thanks for any help.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Justin
hey man im kinda having the same problem, with my 03 ss. where i go and put my key in the ignition, and i turn it to on or i start it which ever. but then i see on my dash that the cruse light is on (when it shouldn't be), and the message thing on the roof dont come on, and my heater dont work. then after a min or 2 goes by and it will all start working again. but if i hit the top of the dash, it works right away. so im just wondering if you, or anyone know/had this happen to them so i know which way to go with this. thanks for any help.
Back around March or so, I took the switch out and cleaned the connections with some contact cleaner. Everything's been working fine ever since. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 AM

Hi `Jim,
Thanks for your post & solution to your problem on a
Intermittent Blower . It's always better
to have a full time Blower that works 4-Sure

It's a old thread question, but I think it's always
best to clean the contacts b-4 one goes out
and spends $'s on new parts.
Thanks for your Help/Post

Quick Reply: Intermittent Blower