Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

intermediate steering shaft question

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default intermediate steering shaft question

Just curious. As of lately I have developed a squeak noise coming from my front end that is the same as the noises from my intermediate steering shaft. My question is will the shaft make the squeezing noise when I am hitting bumps are is this likely a separate issue?

Old 02-29-2016, 05:24 PM

Hi `Ken, When did you fix it last ? did you notice any leaks ?
I just don't know & I hope one of our Expert Member's can Help ? Good Luck
Repair Guide: How To - Intermediate Steering Shaft Greasing ...

montecarloforum.com › ... › FWD Tech Guides '95-'07

Old 02-29-2016, 06:13 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hey Mike thanks for the link. I greased the shaft in the fall so I'm thinking it may not be the issue, but I am hoping it is lol, I don't feel like putting new struts in my car quite yet, but it may be what is causing the squeaking, it just sounds exactly like the steering shaft noise which is what is throwing me for a loop

Old 02-29-2016, 06:28 PM

You're Welcome `Ken. Do you have a friend that you can tie to the bottom of your Monte & drive down the road to see if he can pinpoint the squeak ? Maybe buy him a few beer's..

* Have you tried to bounce the car when it's sitting to see if you can hear the squeak ? That's how Grandpa Space would check I hope a member can post some better infor on your problem... I just hope it's a e.z. fix and low $ fix..Good Luck `Ken

Old 02-29-2016, 06:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Ken. Just greased the ISS on "Lady Jasper" last weekend. The noise I experienced and what I've heard described by others is more of a "clicking noise" that you can feel through the steering wheel. The squeak could be the strut mount bearing like you suggested. As easy as it is, it couldn't hurt to try re-greasing and see what happens though. I've read where some had better success with some brands of white lithium grease than others too. I used WD-40 brand.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:41 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I'm going to guess now that it is the strut on the drivers side, I pushed down on the front of the car and it made the noise. Now to price them out and free up some time on the weekend, hopefully buddies shop has his snowmobiles out of it so I can get in and use the hoist