Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Interior lights inop? Might wanna read this..

Old 10-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Default Interior lights inop? Might wanna read this..

Hey everyone,
I have a 2001 Monte SS and recently my interior backlighting stopped working when it was dark out. When it was light out, the backlighting worked fine. But when it was dark, all my gauge lights, door panel lights, shifter light and even the radio and odometer displays were not working. I also noticed that when I would turn on the rear defroster, the recirculation LED would go out and the rear defroster LED would not light. The gauges themselves worked fine, as did all other indicator lights. Playing with the light switch did nothing, but I still thought it had to be the light switch. So yesterday at work, I took apart the dash and removed the light switch. When I removed it, I noticed it was quite hot. I unplugged it and then I noticed that one of the contacts was black and the connector going to it from the dash harness was partially melted. I bought a new switch and all is well. It isn't cheap, I paid $108 for it and I think they said list was around $160. But at least my car didn't catch fire. I thought I'd share in case someone ever has a similar problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/724/D9BCC7E146794CB99AEBF029D7684572.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Default RE: Interior lights inop? Might wanna read this..

Ouch, was there a TSB out on this problem? Or do you think it was just a fluke?

Old 10-12-2006, 11:12 PM

Not sure if there is a TSB or not and I'm not sure how common it is, so I have to assume it was a fluke for now.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:02 PM

I have this problem. I don't really want to purchase a new one for that much money. I will try to junk yard. I assume I can get a switch from all MCs from 2000 too 2007 (?) and Impalas? Are their any more cars I can pull this from? I am not sure if my local junk yard has newer MCs.

Also what does TSB mean?

Matt|ttaM

Old 11-09-2006, 01:34 PM

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 PM

Ahhh. So what cars should I be looking for at the junkyard?

Old 11-10-2006, 01:37 PM

Does anyone have a part number for this? I have scoured ebay, to no avail. I guess I will bite the bullet and find a new one. Thanks!

Matt|ttaM

Old 11-11-2006, 10:39 AM

AC Delco #: D1599F
GM #: 10406799

Old 11-13-2006, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the part number. I checked my local boneyard, and after searching for a MC of my era, I finnaly found one. Get to the switch, open it, pull of the wire harness, and what do I see?? The problem pin has been burnt out! I also checked all other GM cars of that time period, and NONE of them had the right switch! Guess I will have to purchase this thing new =(

The problem with that is, how do I know as soon as I plug in a new one that this won't happen again???

Matt|ttaM

Old 11-13-2006, 07:12 PM

Well I would hope that they have corrected whatever problem has been making them burn up that terminal. If not, I'm sure the new part has some sort of warranty on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior lights inop? Might wanna read this..