Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

The Intake Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Default RE: The Intake Gaskets

wow man 1700 bucks is a ridiculous bill... when the gasket popped in my 3100 i upgraded to a sc 3800 and did my own labor and with parts was under 1500..

Old 04-02-2008, 05:44 PM

Yeah Chris it was a bummer when this came up. You know how it is when ya got plans to do a job yourself then the car beats ya to it. I`m just too busy right now with all the overtime i`m putting in at work. Cindy just called and said it runs even better now than before. It`s always run better than my `98 but i havent done the ignition yet. We`ll see......lol.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:57 PM

Well it`s been a full day with Cindy driving her car to work and back home. Guess what? She comes in the door and says it`s steaming. I go look and coolant is leaking on the tranny side of the engine but I can`t see exactly where. It`s leaked enough where it was on the hot side of the reservoir to the cold side in one day. Engine running great and no oil in the coolant or vice-versa. So I`m taking her back to the shop in the am to do this bs again....more tommorrow I`m sure....

Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 PM

You know those flat raters...lol j/k. No someone probably busted it out quick and forgot an o-ring somewhere or a clamp. Or it could be an unrelated issue all together. Good luck though and keep us updated!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 PM

Yeah, I thought they did that in a hurry.8 hours was too quick. Well, I`m going back up there tommorrow to see what the next chapter will be like...lol.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 AM

Don't be too worried. Just make sure that they DON'T charge you if it has anything to do with their work. That's the worst...In my Aveo, (it was an '06) the lube rack kid was playing with my light and siren on there and forgot to put the oil cap back on...well the oil light came on about 140 miles later and I saw what happened...140 miles @ $2.50 a mile for towing....yeah the dealership paid and between the time the oil light came on and the time I could safely pull over (I was on an expressway) she got a little hot so they put a new motor in her. BIG bill for a little mistake by a lube rack guy.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM

Well I`m back from the shop. The leak was one of those 3/8 inch hoses in the rear of the engine. They didn`t change them while they were in there. Go figure. Drove it 30 some miles with no leaks so Cindy has her car back. Maybe this will be the end of this story..lol.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM

I hope so. When my buddy was working on my car (3.8 Liter) we had the intakes pulled off, he checked EVERYTHING. "Hey, your water pump shouldn't spin this freely, your harmonic balancer is in great shape." Stuff like that. He replaced any plastic pieces that could break and told me ahead of time of his intentions. I wish shops had more guys like him sometimes. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:28 PM

Hi, told ya I`d give a breakdown of the cost of this intake thing. Here it is: 1159.29 total, 252.60 for the parts for the intake alone and 667.88 for the labor. This does`nt include the coolant flush and thermostat change or the oil change. They didn`t charge for the 2 hoses that were leaking when I took it back to `em. I wouldn`t have paid it anyway so they had no choice. But all is well but please read my new post I put in today on this subject. Did alot of reading on it . It`s really a good read. TC all.....

Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 PM

Did they replace the lower or upper intake itself or just replace the gaskets? I'll dig up my receipts and see what parts actually cost me. $667 for labor...ouch...but the car runs great now, so it was worth it.

Quick Reply: The Intake Gaskets