Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Installed tranny with torque converter attached to engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 03:11 AM
Default Installed tranny with torque converter attached to engine.

So I messed up. I installed the tranny with the torque converter attached to the engine. 2000 Monte Carlo SS 3800 to the 4t65e. The transmission pump whines in park, but stops when i give it a bit of gas. I have put maybe a half mile on the build (Drove it around the block to warm it up). What should I do? My plan was to unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate and then separate the engine and transmission so that I can reach up there and seat the torque converter correctly.

Do you think I caused too much damage? I have a spare transmission laying here I can swap into it no problem. Should I do that instead of trying a quick fix?

:f acepalm:

Old 05-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You might be OK just separating and checking for the converter to extend 1/4" beyond the mating surface of the bell housing, but you almost have to do as much to just separate as to pull it all the way out. I know it's a pain, but personally I would pull it and check for the kinda' like "click" sound when it seats. On the bright side, the second time around is faster and easier than the first...Lol.
As far as damage, for that little distance you're probably fine. Just a couple other questions; did you put fluid in the converter before installing? Are you sure fluid level on the stick is good?

Old 05-29-2016, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the reply, sir. Yes I filled it up before i slid them together. i put in 8 quarts altogether, but I took out a bit more than just the standard dropping of the pan. I installed the transgo shift kit and cleaned out the underneath of the pan. I also tipped it on its side and drained it out of the fill hole. I didn't even get a chance to check the fluid level. Any truth to the horror stories about destroying the pump?

Old 05-29-2016, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member

You might just be low on fluid. The 4t65e holds 13.4 qts. of fluid. Check the stick and add fluid as necessary and the whining might just go away.
7.4 qts. would be enough for a fluid and filter change, but you would need 10.0 qts. for a complete overhaul, and 13.4 qts. if it's completely dry. I'm thinking you might be about 2 qts. low.
As for pump damage, doesn't do it any good, but for that short a period you're probably OK.

Last edited by plumbob; 05-30-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:50 AM

Reading cold, its just above the high mark. I know never to check it cold. I did engage the starter to make sure the engine and transmission spun correctly before even dropping the engine in the car. The first couple cranks sounded terrible, but the rest of the cranks sounded normal. It starts, drives and runs great. The whining started at about 6 quarts or so, I put the rest of the gallon in and instantly the whining stopped. The whining didn't start until the transmission got warm. I guess the question is this: do i start it up and fill to the correct level, risking damage to the torque converter/flywheel/transmission, or do I just pull it apart for no reason and add 2 quarts after a weeks worth of work??

Old 05-30-2016, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member

Always better safe than sorry, but if you can verify the 1/4" clearance you might be OK. On the other hand if it isn't seated properly it can damage the crank and transmission.
You're gonna' have to make the call on that gamble. If in doubt, pull it out.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:25 AM

Measured the clearance and it looks ok. It really does. nothing looks mashed together at all. I started it up and ran it for about 5 minutes, checked the fluid--1/2 inch below the hash. Added a quart, checked it immediately, ran it for another 5 minutes, checked it again. same level. Brought it up to temp, ran it through the gears. Got good, solid shift from reverse to drive, no whining. Drove it down the block, backed it up to my driveway. Checked it again, still a bit low. Added another half a quart, kept the level about 3/4 of the way up the hashmark. Drove it forwards and backwards, level looks fine, no whining after 20 minutes of idling. No noises, clunking, whining or feeling out of the ordinary.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:15 AM
10 Year Member

Cool!, sounds like you're good to go. Whining was likely caused by low fluid. If shifts are all normal without weird noises everything should be OK. Big relief eh?

Last edited by plumbob; 05-30-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:15 PM

Solomon...I remember your name from iRacing

Old 06-06-2016, 06:24 AM

question is did you put trans fluid in the torque converter before the install?
it would take at least 1 to 2 1/2 bottles of fluid at least.