Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Inconsistent Idle, Stop Sign Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Inconsistent Idle, Stop Sign Troubles

I've got a 2002 Monte Carlo that I'm trying to coax through another two years.

Six months ago I replaced the MAF sensor after the car had died at a stop sign, and while it would start, it would never find an idle and the engine would stop. The MAF change fixed the problem, all was good.

I bought a dirt cheap MAF however, and after my battery failed this week it started doing the same thing to me-- died while idling, both at a stop sign and while in my driveway. This time it also seemed to lose power while accelerating, basically going up, halting for a second, then up again, like stairs. Figured the MAF might have got hurt by the battery failure, or maybe it was just cheap garbage, so I bought a nice new one. The car has worked and has not died on me for a few days now, that's great. Seems more reactive when really hitting the gas too, very nice. But it's idle seems low, and it's giving me a heart attack at every stop sign, watching the RPMs dance around at stop signs.

So my problem: I'm getting roughly 600 RPM with a bit of movement (generally dipping down) at idle, are there any basic tweaks/things I can check to get a healthier idle? Am I overreacting to an old, rusted to hell car?

I'm planning to replace the air filter, and probably the spark plugs. Anything other you guys can suggest?

Old 09-01-2019, 02:58 AM

Check and clean your IAC, idle air control, mine did something similar and cleaning the IAC fixed it! hope this helps!!

Old 09-01-2019, 04:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can tell you from working in a parts store for over 10 years that MAF are the most common "dead-on-arrival" part. They are often remanufactured and I've sold brands that I would estimate failed 50% of the time right off the shelf (we discontinued those). My point is that getting 2 new MAF's that were both bad isn't that unlikely. If possible, try swapping one out of a working car to test with

Old 09-01-2019, 11:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unplug the MAF and see if the idle gets a bit better. Also doesn't hurt to check IAC, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc

Old 09-01-2019, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, good news is I found a mouse nest up against my air filter. Pulling that out and replacing the filter really helped with the idle.

Bad news is that now a day later either the manifold or upper engine gasket started pouring coolant. The car is rusted to hell, and has a myriad of other small problems. So it looks like I'm in the market for a new car.

Thanks to everyone who responded, and while I'm not sure if I'll end up with another Monte Carlo, I gotta say this site has been great these past five years.