Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 Idle fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Default 2002 Idle fluctuating

My friend has a 2002 Monte Carlo SS, it has a erratic idle that is constantly going up and down, and she said occasionally the car will stall. There is a Check engine light code P0102, which indicates from my research:

A code P0102 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF may be disconnected, or a wiring connection may be bad
The MAF may be dirty or otherwise contaminated (Note: if you use a reusable oiled air filter, be careful not to apply too much oil or that can contaminate the MAF).
The MAF sensor may be faulty
The vehicle computer may be faulty (very rare)

In the Haynes Manual, the condition Engine lopes while idling or idles erratically indicates the following:

1. Vacuum Leak
2. Leaking EGR valvue or plugged PCV
3. Air Filter Clogged
4. Leaking Head Gasket
5. Worn timing chain
6. Camshaft Lobes Worn
7. Valves burned or leaking
8. Ignition system
9. Dirty or Clogged Injectors
19. Faulty idle control system
11. Faulty emissions or engine control systems

I did not see the MAF listed in the Hayes manual as a related item to erratic idle. but it comments on air filters related to the MAF and that is listed in the Haynes items to check. Has anyone seen this in their car and maybe can tell me a direct fix or how to check some of the items in the list. Im really thinking its something fairly simple, but with a long list of things to check some of which I don't have the knowledge to check, I am hoping to narrow the list down for her.

here is a link to a brief video of the car at idle: MobileMe Gallery

Thanks, Ron

Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Wow, idle drops pretty low. I've never experienced this problem with mine. No shops nearby that you trust that won't take you to the cleaners to find out what's wrong?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

MAF can make it idle oddly.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 AM

Can you give me brief Idea how much a MAF sensor is and how difficult it is to replace with the right tools? I have sockets... :-) I am gonna look in the book today as well, but curious. if its a 15 minute job or more. I think also when I do her next oil change I am going to replace the PCV if its one of those ones that just screw out and are easy to get at and the air filter on top of that and will see where she is at that point.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

What vehicle do you have? Some have a MAF in the intake tube which is easy to replace. You just unplug it, loosen the clamps on each end and pop it out. Others are built into the throttle body and require a different procedure to replace.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
What vehicle do you have?
Originally Posted by N9QGS
My friend has a 2002 Monte Carlo SS, it has a erratic idle that is constantly going up and down, and she said occasionally the car will stall. There is a Check engine light code P0102, which indicates from my research:

I think those have the MAF on the intake tube.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 AM

15 Year Member

2002 SS has the L36 so the MAF is on the throttle body. You just need to disconnect the negative battery terminal, pop off the MAF plug and use a security t-20 torx to unscrew both screws.

It's the flat sensor on the tb closest to the intake tube.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
2002 SS has the L36 so the MAF is on the throttle body. You just need to disconnect the negative battery terminal, pop off the MAF plug and use a security t-20 torx to unscrew both screws.

It's the flat sensor on the tb closest to the intake tube.
Shows how much I know about these motors

Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 PM

15 Year Member

Never too late to learn

The 3400 has the MAF in the intake tube.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Never too late to learn

The 3400 has the MAF in the intake tube.
I haven't spent much time in the general tech area of the forum but I didn't need to in order to see I have a loooooong way to go before I can even pretend to know about what makes these things go. But I see alot of you know these things pretty good so I know where to come if I have a question.

Quick Reply: 2002 Idle fluctuating