Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Ignition Keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Ignition Keys

Hello all. I lost one of my original keys to my 2001 SS MC. I had new ones made, they will open doors and the trunk but they will not start the ignition. I was told the ignition key has a chip in it and has to programed to the car by a GM dealer. If this is so is there any way to "hack" this system since the warranty is long gone anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GTHSS; 03-26-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by GTHSS
Hello all. I lost one of my original keys to my 2001 SS MC. I had new ones made, they will open doors and the trunk but they will not start the ignition. I was told the ignition key has a chip in it and has to programed to the car by a GM dealer. If this is so is there any way to "hack" this system since the warranty is long gone anyway?

Thanks in advance!
My 2002 doesn't have the chip in the key. I thought this was a newer technology. My key that I keep on my keychain for my monte is a plain old metal key that say "saturn" to throw people off haha. I just dont recall the 6th gens having this particular security feature.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

To my knowledge, the '00-'05 Monte do not used chipped keys. Their is a PassLock chip integrated with the ignition lock cylinder in the dash.

Did you have the new keys made at the dealer? If so, they should have used your VIN to determine the correct factory key you require and it would have been cut as good as an original one based off that coding they receive from your VIN (I just went through this with my new Grand Am).

If they is not 100% right, it may not be properly triggering what it needs to in the lock cylinder to properly engage the PassLock chip. Or perhaps you need to do a re-learn cycle. The relearn is done by:
DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY DURING THIS PROCESS:
1 - Put key in ignition, attempt to start.
2 - If car does not start, leave in the "on" position (you will probably see the security light active).
3 - Wait 10 minutes (at that time, the security light should stop flashing, if it has not, continue to wait)
Repeat steps 1-3 until car starts. Should take about 3-4 attempts (after 5, I would discontinue, your problem is elsewhere).

Good luck!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the replies guy's. No. I didn't have the keys made at the dealer, they were made at the local hardware store. I will try the relearn cycle when I get home from work. That sounds interesting.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member

Just to add info, the new keys that work in the door and trunk will not even turn the ignition tumbler to the "on" position. Maybe its just a less than 100% matching key and the doors and trunk are more forgiving.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Yup, take the keys back and have them try again. If the key you had them copied from is a copy thats probably your problem, every time you copy a copy you have minor errors that stack up. If they dont work after having them fixed you may have to get keys made from the cylinder.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Probably worn tumblers in the ignition since it is used more often that the door and trunk locks. And like Dave says, if it's a copy of a copy it starts to get away from you.

My 02 has just plain ol keys I buy off of eBay and have new ones cut from them. I have one set of my original keys that I never use tucked away in a drawer just for that purpose, copies.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:57 AM

10 Year Member

If the key won't turn the tumbler, then it's not PassLock, the relearn is of NO help. Honestly, I think the relearn is to sync the chip in the cylinder (so my suggestion was a long shot).

Old 06-24-2018, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
If the key won't turn the tumbler, then it's not PassLock, the relearn is of NO help. Honestly, I think the relearn is to sync the chip in the cylinder (so my suggestion was a long shot).
How you go about doing that because just to ight while I was at work my girlgriend called and said she could tell get the key to turn. I got home and tried the pull down and up but nothing. I tried wiggling while I turned it and still nothing.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:37 PM

10 Year Member

@Will Miron - It would be best to begin a new thread asking about your specific situation.

Quick Reply: Ignition Keys