Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default won't start

Drove it two days ago, everything was fine. Got in it today, have lights andradio, but it won't even try to start, just like it's dead. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Photobucket
Default RE: won't start

OK, went back out to see if it had any codes. Did pull a P0404 code, but no check engine light (had that code a while back w/ the CEL on, then the light went away, I never cleared the code so don't know if it keeps it stored (?) ). Tried to start it again and it cranked right up. What's the deal? Not holding my mouth right?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 AM

Hi `Becky,
Sorry to read about your problem : (
I believe it keeps the code in storage until it is reset, but I'm
sure one of our experts will confirm.
When your Monte started, did your `amp gauge reflect/show
in the normal range, or was it in the + zone charging ?
You may also want to check your cable connections on your
battery, to make sure they are tight : ).
Oh, clean you key with a little dish washing soap & dry.
(If it's dirty, it can prevent your car was starting).
Have you tried several times to restart your Monte ?
If so, did it restart each time.
I hope that other member's read your post, and reply
with suggestions solutions.
Wish you good Luck, from `Space

Old 05-16-2008, 08:52 AM

does your car have that chip thing in the key?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:05 AM

[align=center]P0404 Exhaust Gas Re-circulation Circuit [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]`Becky, have you had your cat converter replaced ?
GM has issued an extended warranty for the converters as they are VERY prone to clog. GM will replace the cat converter free of charge for up to 120K miles or 10 years due to their failure rates.

[/align]

Old 05-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Photobucket

When it started all gauges were normal and it started fine - no grinding, hesitation, nothing, started like nothing was wrong.
I tried 5 or 6and it did nothing, then tried again after checkingfor codesand it started just fine. Have started 6 more times, even went to the store and back. No problems. Now when I was checking the code I did bump the little cover under the dash. Possibly a loose connection under there that made contact from the bump (?) - maybe.
No chip in key.
My cat was replaced about 3000 miles ago. It was one of the faulty ones and was replaced under the special policy.

I'm going to get the starter checked.

Back in Feb. the CEL came on and was throwing that P0404 code. The light went off on it's own, figured it had a piece of carbon that dislodged itself. I never cleared the code and I'm not sure if they have to be cleared or if they clear themselves it the problem is fixed. It ran fine then and still does.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:33 PM

[align=center]Hi `Becky,[/align][align=center]I was happy to read that your Awesome Monte is now running fine.[/align][align=center]Hopefully it was just one of those mystery `bugs, and[/align][align=center]now it has flown away. Let us know `if it returns, or `if[/align][align=center]it is a starter problem. Wish you Good Luck with your `Monte,[/align][align=center]and in `Life. `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Get's drunk & `bug's Monte Carlo's : )[/align]

Old 05-29-2008, 01:43 AM

Hi there new here....Nearly all vehicles today have starters with internal solenoids, but some have them externally. I not sure if this going to work but you can follow the large red cable from the battery. It will either go to the starter or a large relay with two large terminals on it. The other large wire would go to the starter.

If it is external, you can jump the two big terminals with the IGN switch in the run position. If it cranks, then that solenoid is bad.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Photobucket

Thanks for the suggestions guys. So far (knocking on wood and my head, LOL), it's started fine since.
We did not get the starter checked yet, but after doing a lot of internet searching, I think it may have something to do with the passlock system. Usually when I start it, I do not see "security" in the info box but that day I did. I've kept a very close eye on it and have not seen it since. I do remember seeing it a few times in the past. According to the book it should show when you start it, but 99% of the time it does not. So I'm thinking it might be something screwy there. Lot's of Luminas have the "no start sometimes" problem and a lot of thoseare do to the passlock system.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:36 PM

The keys actually have the security built into them now and it isn't a chip on the outside of the key. I beleive the ignition cylinder measures resistance and if it gets a bad reading the security light will pop up and not allow the car to start.

Now I've had this problem and just waited 15 min and it popped right off. I beleive it might just be a faulty cylinder but it will probably be very rare when it happens.

Quick Reply: won't start