Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

HUGE problem... Rear defroster blew rear window out !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

That is the craziest things i have seen in a VERY LONG TIME. I I wonder if something didnt hit the glass. I have lived in Jersey and Oklahoma and have had ice on cars and never had the rear defroster get hot enough to cause that kind of damage.

Like Nate said, it could have been just a freak occurrence.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 PM

i believe this was an issue with the early 2000/2001 sentras. the defroster wouldnt shut off and there was a chance it would blow the rear window out. my friend had one he bought new and he never brought it back to the dealer to get fixed. he would always put it on and say he cant wait for it to blow the window and cut him up so he can sue nissan. it never did, but apparently it had happened on more then one occasion with those cars.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks guys for all The input, you guys are right, probly never happen again, but just in case there was / is a problem with the relay, I'm gonna replace it for the hell of it. May save me another $300 wootth of window .....lol. mj

Old 12-16-2010, 12:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

what i would so is once you replace the relay, turn on the Defrost and feel the glass. If it gets really hot, then there might be another problem. Might save you from another glass.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Default lol

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
Tell her to Turn Down the BASS! lol

I've never heard of that happening before.

Never thought of that....lol... thst damn Bon Jovi owes me a window !!.... (Im NOT A FAN !) he USED to make good music, now , it caters to women ONLY....

Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM

I'd check the current going through the actual defroster lines too after you install the new one. The old one might have shorted out somewhere and gotten really hot in one spot but stayed cold everywhere else. Not sure how exactly that would happen, but it's about the only thing I can think of that would cause it to heat up enough to crack glass.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by biggriggs
I'd check the current going through the actual defroster lines too after you install the new one. The old one might have shorted out somewhere and gotten really hot in one spot but stayed cold everywhere else. Not sure how exactly that would happen, but it's about the only thing I can think of that would cause it to heat up enough to crack glass.

Thanks, Ill try it, Should I check the amps comming out of the wires before I hook it up to the new window? Lil gun shy on hooking it up, for $300 a pop.....(NO PUN) Im not sure what to do, I do have a multi meter, Ill try it and get back to you. Im also checking the fuses and relay to see if the relay may have been bad as well.( maybe a stuck relay?) thanks....MJ

Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Default rear windshield

you are not alone this happened to me also in my 99 monte carlo on my first cycle using the rear defroster in my car my wife swore i had some angry woman throwing something at my car lol im definitely showing her this post so now she might believe me lol i havent replaced my windshield yet im looking for 1 at a reasonable price i stay in willards md and the winters are cold but not that bad that it would shatter because of the heat being introduced i think its something with the defroster but dont really know anything about cars so who knows just know your not alone lol i wont be plugging the defroster back in when i get it going the other problem i have is with the turn signal lever going up and that controls the windshield wipers,cruise control, and turn signals and ive been told by a mechanic that its a switch in the steering column and its going to be a little over 500 to fix that so its been a bad couple months with my monte carlo

Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 AM

I had this happen to me in a 2000 furd taurus. the window shop said that one of the 2 connectors had melted and created a hot spot that ruined the grid and then got the glass. my insurance covered it after I paid the first $100.00 thru my comp.the new window worked just fine but I found my monte not too long after that happened. I think your new window will be okay. unless you got something goofy going on with the current.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Default I think your right ~~~~~

Originally Posted by jeff2425
I had this happen to me in a 2000 furd taurus. the window shop said that one of the 2 connectors had melted and created a hot spot that ruined the grid and then got the glass. my insurance covered it after I paid the first $100.00 thru my comp.the new window worked just fine but I found my monte not too long after that happened. I think your new window will be okay. unless you got something goofy going on with the current.

By chance I am getting ready to hook up the new window (defroster) and 1 side of the wireing was a bit melted???? So, I think Im going to hook it up, wait a couple minutes and see if the wire gets hot as well as the window. IF it doesnt, like most of you said, some kind of defect, or freak thing happened to the window and blew it out. NOW my wife said that BEFORE the window blew, she DID smell something burning, but didnt see any smoke or anything and BAM!!!... So it may have shorted out on the defroster part and the wire shorted out and blew it. I HAVE NO CLUE STILL of the exact cause, but when I hook it up this time and it blows, well, Im gonna turn it into a convertable FASTER than hell, and it wont have a top. Im just gonna cut the f in roof off.....lol and let what little hair I have left blow in the cold Wisconsin air ~~~~~ MJ

BTW, I want to thank EVERYONE that contributed to this thread to help me out... thanks ~~~~

Quick Reply: HUGE problem... Rear defroster blew rear window out !!!