Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Hub Bearings hard to find good replacements.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Hub Bearings hard to find good replacements.

I don't know why or if it is horrible luck this time around or what. I took my car to have it looked at to find out if there were any problems that need replaced. The mechanics gave me a print out of things that were wrong. I went through and replaced all the parts including the front passenger side hub bearing assembly. First bearing I went to purchase was Timken front hub assembly. Having replaced both hubs on the rear with that brand I thought I was safe. Got it on my car torque the bolts to specs. Got the tire on it and started putting lug nuts on. As soon as I did they kept turning and turning and there was hardly any tightness i could feel. And then Snap the bolts on the bearing where the lug nuts attached to must not have been hardened steel. I was shocked!!! So i took it back to AutoZone where I got the part. I showed them they were questioning me about it and I told them the whole run down. They didn't hesitate to refund me. So I sought out to try a different brand perhaps Timken wasn't the best. This time I went to Advanced Auto parts to buy the bearing with my refunded money. I bought Moog brand this time. Now at least i was able to get this one on my car and the tire on too no problem there at least the bolts on the bearing were actually hardened steel this time. But just like not even two months after I have installed the Moog brand you can definitely hear grinding noise it's not loud but its there. And my ABS kicks off at times so put my car on jack stands and did the standard test spin the tire around while pushing in and while pulling out and i hear squeak or more like creeeck. Dang am I going crazy or do they make any quality hub bearings in the world. Maybe just bad luck. Never had a problem with the rear bearings. I'm putting them on by the book. Anyone have any suggestions on what part I should buy or ways I can prevent buying crap parts. These are the best options at the local Auto stores.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Timkens....get them at rockauto.com. They are the best bearing.

And those wheel studs, you can find them to replace too. I've had to before. They just punch out/press in. The bearing is a separate part.

Last edited by PacerSS; 01-29-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I love the timkens that I purchased.

You are also supposed to replace the nuts that you remove from the back of the hub per my GM manuals.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Hello, any ever try the Raybestos? Also, what's the Timkin part number you use? Seems like there are a few to chose from, do you replace them in pairs, or can you just replace the bad side ? Thanks...mjc...

Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

This is the one that I bought for my car.
Amazon Amazon

I think 02+ has to use a different part number

Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

All i use is timkin, great product

Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I have used Timken hub assemblies for years. I've put them on Grand Ams, Impalas, Grand Prixs and even my Monte. ZERO issues. They are made in the U.S.A. (which is becoming harder to find). I've put many miles on these hubs and not an issue.
As for your issue, first, I would not let one issue ruin your opinion about the brand. Any company makes hundreds and thousands of a product, there is bound to be ONE that has a defect. Plus in this case, Timken comes with a great approval/support of members on MCF (people that share the same car and same common issues).

Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

If I remember correctly the wheel bearings on our military 5 ton wreckers were Timken's. Good stuff, weird your broke one of their bolts. Wonder if someone bought Timken, then bought a cheaper brand, put the Timken on their vehicle and turned in the cheap ones in a Timken box for a high $$ refund. Who knows.....

Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Wonder if someone bought Timken, then bought a cheaper brand, put the Timken on their vehicle and turned in the cheap ones in a Timken box for a high $$ refund.
I even wondered that. It's a bit of a long shot, but it crossed my mind too.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

@chibiblacksheep I did read that you do need to replace the bolts on the back side that hold tighten the hub assembly to the knuckle. I've searched GMdirect's catalog for the bolts but I'm not able to find them there. I'm waiting to hear back from customer service but they take could be up to a week. Anyone know what part numbers those would be, just the bolts? Also thank you for your suggestions given the possibility that the bearing was replaced by a cheaper version I will now purchase the Timken bearings online 1A auto is the usual supplier i purchase from because they are so close they are in KC USA and I'm in Omaha shipping happens rather quickly.

Last edited by silverodo12345; 01-30-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Hub Bearings hard to find good replacements.