Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

How to paint 06 - 07 Chevy bowties

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Default How to paint 06 - 07 Chevy bowties

Well, I looked through the Do-It-yourself stuff and I seen nothing on painting the emblems on the 06 and 07 Monte Carlo, well I have painted my emblems myself and it was very easy, so if anybody is interested in seeing it I can explain how to do it just let me know

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/IMG_1277.jpg

Edit from Taz: changed name of thread.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: 06 - 07 painted emblems.

So what color was this emblem? Gold? I've never liked the gold bow-ties myself. It looks good on the white.
What kind of paint did you use? My Intimidator emblems are blacked out for the "stealth" look. The paint keeps chipping away, even with clearcoat, but I just keep touching them up with a paint pen.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 PM

Looks nice dude. I did a write up last year when I repainted mine, it was in the detailing forum for whatever reason. Doesn't matter as the second half of it seems to have been lost, oh well I still have the full write up I did on my cardomain page.

Did you paint under the plastic where the foil is or did you just paint on top?

Can't say the gold emblems really went with any color Monte unless it has other gold accents in my opinion.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:10 PM

yeah i would like to know how you painted them ASLakeCharles. what kind of paint did you use? did you take them off to paint them? how has the paint held up so far? thanks for the info.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:41 PM

well, I took the emblems off with a pocket knife, they are just held on with double sided sticky tape, I then just peeled the gold flake off and the tape off and and sanded down the emblem with with a fine grit paper, then I painted with the small can of Dupli-color metal paint, 4 coats and then went over it with the dupli-color metal clear coat 4 or 6 coats, and once you have them painted clear off the extra tape from the chrome bowtie outline and then sand that down a bit, once you are prepped I used an apoxy putty on the chrome bow-tie and pushed and held the painted one on for like30 to 60 seconds and they held on for good, and I have been threw car wash after car wash and not a single chip on them so far, also FYI. that mighty putty you see on T.V. or can get a wal-mart works great, that what I used. also if you need a bit more detail then let me know by e-mailing me and I will tell you a bit more.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: drewskie043

yeah i would like to know how you painted them ASLakeCharles. what kind of paint did you use? did you take them off to paint them? how has the paint held up so far? thanks for the info.

My method was very similar, I actually used some model car enamel paint for mine. The plastic part separates from the chrome backing, this plastic piece has the foil attached to the back and if you get the foil off and paint where the foil was then the paint is actually behind 1/4" or so of plastic and you shouldn't have to worry about chipping at all.

Mine look the same as the day I painted them over a year ago.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:35 PM

Yea, I have gone threw car wash after car wash with mine and well it worked just fine, but now I am a little worried because some jack *** backed into the front of my car and well I am pretty sure the front bumper will need to be replaced and well, I hope I don't lose my grill with my emblem painted. but yea, I have hit the emblems with a preasure washer pretty close and yea, still looks great.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Cool Chevy bowties

Go to a local hobby and ask for mylar trim for rc planes. It comes in many colors. Frist make a template of the bowtie .Cut it out peel off the backing and put it on your bowtie. I did my 79 ford pickup trucks tailgate letters in chrome. Had the truck for twenty five years.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:51 PM

I used some Flat black from the model shop and did this myself and I havent had any issues with the paint chipping at all.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 AM

i did this to my cobalt looked good for 2 years even after the car flipped.
i scuffed it with gray schochbright then buplicolor prep spray,adhesion promoter,color matched paint and clear.used 3m double sided tape to reattach. worked grate

Quick Reply: How to paint 06 - 07 Chevy bowties