Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Highbeam switch mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Highbeam switch mod

Has anyone modded a highbeam switch? Don't even know if it's replaceable by itself or not. Feels like a chunk of plastic broke off sometimes it binds hard going into detent then when coming out of detent all headlights go out until I figet with the lever and then they work normally till the next occurance. Its random and frequent enough I would like to repair it. Was curious if anyone has replaced the switch by itself and more so whether there are interchangeable switches /levers from other gm. I wish I could mod it to what the newer gm haves where back detent is momentary highbeams and forward detent actually locks lever forward and turns on the high beams. My Pontiac grand prix has this style as well as a traverse. Pontiac lever has different functions on it however. Ideas?

Old 04-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Best bet is stay with MC Switches. Sadly it is bad design and only advise I can give is don't yank on them. From what it sounds like it is bad and almost to the point of fail forever. Lets only hope this don't happen in Highs on like so many others.

I am not sure what Year MC you have so I looked up 1 year over mine. So looking at the 03 in RockAuto they have some Aftermarket should work like OEM starting at 88 and there are 3 total between the low price and the 4th one that is ACDELCO that cost over 200 for the part.

You should be able to get into it without having to take the steering wheel off. I know it can be done in my Impala, I haven't had to on my MC yet but I would expect it is going to be same type of work.

If you have a Pull your own yard around you. I would maybe go there and pull a OEM so you get the feel for it. That way if you mess something up it is ok because it was Junk to start with. I know in my yard around me the part is only 15 and tax. Only thing that it takes is the time for you to remove it. If I was going to get one from the yard I would check that it works or feels right in all directions. that way your not getting one that is already bad or almost ready to fail.

James