Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

HI new to forum! Can anyone help me?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Default HI new to forum! Can anyone help me?

My buddie got an 87 monte carlo with the 4.3L v6 in it. when we got the car all vacuum hoses where gone and everything was block off. the only vacuum hose connected was the egr. Now iv been working on it for a week now. the issues im having are the following..

1.. the car wont rev over half throttle unless i play with the vacuum stems on the TPI

2.. I didnt know if there should be a starter shim on the starter because it sounds like its spinning with flywheel but noise goes away when i rev motor.. sounds like loud vibrating coming down by starter and flywheel.

i have replaced the flywheel because it was chewed up from previous owner. I also changed the starter at the same time but didn't come with any shims.

i gave the motor a full tune up, pluges wires distributor cap rotor fuel filter clutch fan. i timed it and i still cant get it to rev over half throttle. only if i play with the vacuum on TPI. anyone have any idea???

Last edited by chevy freak; 07-14-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am not able to answer your questions but I thought I would say "welcome to the Forum" to bump this thread up so one of our more experienced members would see it

Hope you get that Monte straitened out soon!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

With that history I'd say you have a vacuum leak being caused by either improper routing or missing hoses/components. There should be a decal under hood that shows the vacuum hoses and there routing. If not you may find one searching the web. You could also have a fuel related issue, but you need to insure all vacuum hoses are installed and routed properly first, then see how it runs and go from there.

Flywheel (manual trans) or Flexplate (auto trans)? If it is loose, bent or cracked that could cause noise and vibration. So could improper balance, a loose torque converter, a bent inspection cover, a bad starter solenoid and the list goes on. Since you replaced the flywheel/flexplate my suggestion would be to double check everything. Was the replacement the same size and number of teeth? Was it balanced if needed? All bolts torqued to spec? Starter/Solenoid in working condition? Anything (like bent inspection cover) obstructing flywheel rotation?

And welcome to the forum.

Edit: Also check for vacuum leak at TPI mounting.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 07-14-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Welcome to the site.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM

the motor was completely de vacuumed and and cap off. yes there is a diagram but its mission most of the components, all emissions for car is taken out.. aftermarket air filter is on it. jw if a tps sensor would cause the car to loose power half throttle.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Yes, a TPS could cause the problem, but if the vacuum lines have been rerouted (components removed) and you can get the engine to accelerate when you manipulate the vacuum hoses at the TPI that leads me to believe you have improper routing, a vacuum leak or vacuum is not being applied where and when it needs to be. You'll need to try and route them as they were originally - especially those at the TPI and any that were routed through thermal vacuum switches.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 PM

I have a 86 I can send u some pictures of the vacuum routin I u need it

Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 PM

It sounds to me like the starter and flywheel ain t got the same amount of teeth for your starter problem.