Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Here's one for ya

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Here's one for ya

With my supposedly 'locked keys in' proof 2006 Monte Carlo I managed to lock the keys in the ignition with the car running.

How it happened I have no idea, but without the spare anymore it'll cost $100 to have the dealer run the VIN and cut a key and $45 to just have a locksmith come open it up.

What I did... Got in the car, turned it on while I scraped ice off. It was colder than I thought, otherwise I would have just remote started it before going out of the house. Anyway, scraped ice off and the doors were both locked. Here I am locked out of my car with it running, almost late for class so I grabbed the key to my quad and luckily that started right up in this single digit temperatures.

According to the locksmith that I'm currently waiting on it's possible for the system to be overridden by locking the doors manually causing the keys to be locked in the ignition. I've never bumped the manual lock before and it's not something that I consider to be easily bumpable so who knows.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Wow, that sucks. Well the only way I can see it possible is if you manually locked the door on accident.

So its just running waiting for a lock smith to open it?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Default ...locked out

That had to be frustrating !
I've locked myself out of the house recently but never my car......yet .
You may want to have a extra key or two made. Keep one in your wallet
or the bag with your books in it. Bury one outside somewhere ?
Sounds like you prabably did bump it by accident ? How long did it sit
running ? Well at least the ice melted of the car. And yes, those locksmith's
aren't cheap

Old 01-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

there's tools to get in, any tow company should have one, my aunt has one that will get into any car, dont need a key to get in there ..

just call your local tow company and they'll be in there in a few minutes

Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

yeah i locked my keys in my truck once the locksmith wanted 120 to unlock it of course it told them to come out i waited 2 hrs for them & he nvr showed & luckly i was at a wal mart & i went back in & bought a crowbar & a yard stick pried my door open at the top & droped the yard stick on my unlock button, & after that the lock smith showed up 3 hrs after he said he was 15 min away, & i have tested this it was nvr possable to manually lock my truck with the key in the ignition it would always unlock itself

Old 01-14-2010, 02:42 PM

In my 2000 LS, in order for me to Lock the doors with the car running (i can pull key out, so its great!, although bad in a way) is if i open the door and manually lock it, otherwise it will unlock auto.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 PM

thats halarious i did that same thing last year, now i just abuse the remote start. luckily my insurance picked up the bill. i would suggest to all to get the 6 dollars every 6 months for roadside assistance added. im pretty sure you get three calls free under 100$.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM

ya idk how thats even possible like others have said, the settings in my DIC are set to unlock the doors in park.

also i had a problem about that same time where i would start my car for ten minutes get in drive across the street to the gas station and my keys would be stuck in the ignition, it only happened twice but its wierd none the less.

crazy monte carlo

Last edited by mak330; 01-14-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM

Well it sat running for about two hours while I was in class, dropped my gas mileage to 13mpg.

I do plan on getting another key made sometime, but at $50 a key I'll wait and just be more careful.

I took the car to the dealer when it overheated right before Christmas and they reprogramed the computer to clear codes. The locksmith told me that he actually has to go to the same dealer all the time because they lock the keys in new Corvettes while moving them around (running too). He said that if anyone's ever messed with the computer it's possible that they reset everything to defaults. So I tried and the car will not unlock the doors like it should when the key is in the ignition.

I'm going to need to do some research to figure out how to redo that because I would rather not take it back to the dealer again and have them try to charge me another $100.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:32 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Lol your lucky it wasnt stolen when it sat running. Think of the bright side

Quick Reply: Here's one for ya