Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Help with water leak!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 08:09 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Unhappy Help with water leak!

I've been having some water leaking in the floorboards of my 2001 Monte LS for the past couple years, however I didn't notice how bad it really was until after a good downpour and pulling up the carpet; there had to have been several gallons of water soaked through all the foam and it's starting to mold. Now hear me out, as you can see in the picture, the carpet is pulled up all along the front and sides. To try and find the leak, I sat inside while my brother poured water over every surface of the car with a hose for over 5 minutes; not a single drop was seen leaking in even though I checked every possible spot along the edges of the floorboards! I'm SOOOO confused and I'm not sure how to begin diagnosing the issue. Anyone else have the same problem or have any ideas?

P.S. Several years ago, I already installed the plastic cowl that blocks water from dumping into the A/C vent on the passenger side, however that does not solve the problem

Old 06-16-2021, 10:57 PM
Old 06-17-2021, 12:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In addition to Glen01SS's solution, if you have a sunroof, the drain may be clogged.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:31 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks for the tips! I'll take the doors apart today and update if thats the problem. I have no sunroof by the way, so that's ruled out.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:26 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

After taking the door panels apart, I found that the seams near the mirror were definitely peeling; however I couldn't find any signs that the water was coming through. Either way, I sealed it up best I could. I guess I'll find out if it worked when it rains this Sunday. Thx again!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:01 PM

Good luck. Make sure your door drains are clear also.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:32 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Update:

After the first rain, the floorboards are flooded again. I'm about ready to drive this thing into a brick wall lol. I can see that the water appears to be coming in through the exact spot that I just sealed near the mirrors in the door panel. Maybe I'll just suck it up and take it to the dealer for the expensive fix.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:38 PM

Very sorry to hear my fix didn't work for you. That should have prevented or reduced leaks coming through the outside mirror seals but wouldn't help if the door-to-body seals leak. Any evidence of dampness on the headliner by the pillar covers? I think potentially water could run down the inside of those if the top windshield seal leaks. As a short term preventative, you could try a windshield "snow" cover if you can find one with straps you can attach to the door handles, not the ones that you close the doors on. In desperation, you could put electrical tape over the mirror seams to see if that helps. Good luck. I feel your pain.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:59 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

So after re-examining the door panels, I realized that the water leaks into the inside of the door panel, around the speakers, and through the gasket that seals the speaker to the door (the gasket was wet and falling apart). I may not be able the stop the water from getting in the door, but I sealed off the entire speaker mount with silicon. If this doesn't fix it then I don't know what will.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:05 PM

Have you confirmed your drain holes are clear?
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...er-leak-60962/

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Help with water leak!