Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2nd Gen ('73-'77): help!! steering wheel wobbles up,down,side to side.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:14 PM
Default help!! steering wheel wobbles up,down,side to side.

My steering wheel recently made some clicking noise when I was turning the wheel into a parking lot. Once I heard a light snap it stopped but my turn signal wouldn't click or stay in the flashing mode. I got a new to me turn signal asst from scrap yard. While getting into my steering column I noticed the upper bearing cap I think was not pressed into the bearing. The cap looks like a upside down castle nut as it has 5 cut outs around it. With my steering off and the spring out I can pull my column rod in and out bout 1/4 inch to 3/8. When I push it as far in as I can where I assume it would sit it doesn't wiggle at really in any direction. I can only find pic on the internet of the pieces of the bearing I think I broke. It looks to me like the cap with the slots cut out sit inside the bearing to hold it tight to the shaft and keep the column from moving around. Then some other pics look like it sits against the bearing and the spring jeeps tension on the bearing and wheel to hold them in place. I don't know if I need a new bearing or a new housing. It is a 75 Monte Carlo 350 auto tranny. Any input would help. Also if need to change upper bearing how do I disassemble the column to get it out as can't find any good info online. Thank you.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:00 PM

Had a similar problem with my column. Instead of fussing with it I got another out of a salvage yard. $50
Note: if that's the route you go make sure the keys are in the replacement column

Old 03-26-2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by vincenti
Had a similar problem with my column. Instead of fussing with it I got another out of a salvage yard. $50
Note: if that's the route you go make sure the keys are in the replacement column

This is the route I went with my 93Z28.

My column moved approx. 1 inch diagonally due to a pin or something. My mechanic said it could be fixed but wouldn't know for sure what to do until getting into the column. I suggested replacing whole column and we went that direction.

On mine and others that have air bags (just side note) when you pull the column(s) tie the steering wheel so it cannot spin and break the air bag "clock spring" I am sure yours does not have an air bag.