Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Help Please, power steering loosing power

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:49 PM
1 Year Member
Unhappy Help Please, power steering loosing power

Hi everybody did a complete u turn the other day in a parking lot, when I turned the wheel back to straighten out the power steering quit and I had to muscle wheel back. I stopped at the stop sighn, and had full power back. happened again later. when I got home checked P.S.fluid level it was fine. it looses power during tight turns from either direction if I stop it comes back

Old 09-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like something with power steering hose if doing it on tight turns. Common issue with your year Monte probably will need to change power steering pump (could be going bad)

Old 09-11-2016, 02:35 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks jakefluker that is what I'm thinking, its a 2000 185000 miles leaks every where I added about 6 oz. of fluid when I got home so far so good. Thank you for replying

Old 09-28-2016, 10:59 AM
1 Year Member

up date power stearing pump replaced took 2 hours, worked for 15 mi. then back to the same. dropped it off at mechanic, they replaced pump again under warranty, same problem, so the rack gets replaced. I had not seen my car since I dropped it off, when I got there I looked at the car, and front drivers bumper has had a small impact with some thing yellowand left yellow paint on side of fender. the owner says it came in that way. I advised him on Friday I had washed the whole car to get greasy hand prints, and my friend that helped me, dropped it off told them the same I helped wash it to no damage, any way the stearing was fixed with the rack, but very loud whine, stopped by a friends shop that I don't usually let fix my cars, hard to be a close friend to your mech., his tech came over listened to the whine, asked if they had vacuumed the system, I told him that they said it wasn't necessary and didn't have tool, its going back to my friends shop to get vacuumed next week. called the other shop to ask again if he had checked the security cam yet from that Saturday at 10:30 to eleven and he was very rude that he didn't have time for that. when I told him the pump was whining he hung up. I will up date after the system is vacumed , Thanks for the help and ideas

Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

They should care what happened to the car that's a lawsuit

Old 09-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Yep, lawsuit in my book

Old 09-29-2016, 01:54 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks guys, that's what is coming, A Army buddy is a investigator for popo he is going to lean on him. Leaving scene of accident with property damage is a felony, so hes, going to inform him that if it was a employee of his did the damage he will be charged. He's giving him 10 days to fix the problem or will take the video with him.AS far as the car its going to sit until I save some money to have it purged replace pump again and have it vacuumed filled, Ill get back to the board when done

Old 09-29-2016, 04:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member

Wow sorry to hear that. I had similar incident 2 wks ago when I had oil filter adjusted and new parked my car and went to get out swung door out and hit pick up next to it causing a big chip in my paint. he apologized etc. but I had to let owner of shop know about, long story short owner wrote check for cost to repair/repaint $270.00 but there was no hassle whatsoever. Been going shop for long time and he's a good honest guy. Still some honest repair shops out there, but not enough!

Old 09-29-2016, 05:25 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

You bet we would be in court if anyone ever treated either of my Montes that way!!!

Old 10-01-2016, 10:43 AM
1 Year Member

the detective, went by the shop, about 3pm the owner called me to and very nicely asked me to get 2 estimates. The detective( old Army friend) said he had a great time making him squirm. Still don't know if flushing all the fluid and filling by vacuum will stop the whine at high RPM about 3g