Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help with Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Default Help with Noise

Hey everyone,

I am fairly new here. I am in the Army in Fort Riley Kansas, transitioning back to civilian life as i type. I just came home on leave in Alabama and my 2001 Monte Carlo SS has a noise coming from the passenger front wheel area. it starts once you get up to around 20MPH. It sounds like a humming sound that increases as the car increases in speed. It has nothing to do with the engine for sure because it does not match the RPM's. The sound gets real loud when you get to about 50 MPH, it is worse if you turn the wheel to the Left and decreases slightly if you turn it to the Right. I pulled the wheel off yesterday to have a look. I though it might be the brakes, but they seem fine, suspension seems solid. I don't know what to look for, I am out of ideas. I really would like some ideas , help please if you know or have ideas what to try next. I am leaving in 2 days to return back to Fort Riley and i would like to fix it before i go. I don't have the money to mess with a dealership.

I am no automotive expert but i can fix problems if i know what to look for or know what it is. I have access to the Air Force base automotive center here in Alabama so i can get it on a lift too (if needed).

So please reply if you have some help.

Again a loud humming noise from the right front side, that increases with speed. sound never changes just gets louder. you can feel it some in the steering wheel (barely), more when you turn the wheel Left, it actually adds vibration when you turn left. it seems to get some better when you turn right (not much).

Thanks again.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

sounds like a wheel bearing, jack the car up & wiggle the wheel if it moves alot its the bearing

Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Definitely sounds like your passenger side bearing

Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

If it is a bearing I would recommend replacing it with a Timken bearing

Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM

id say everybody is right sounds like a wheel bearing. im pretty sure you cant change the actual bearing itself you have to change the whole hub it has the wheel studs in it and its held on the spindle by three good sized allen or torx bolts. There will be a hole in the back of it to stick your allen wrench back in there to get the mounting bolts loose. Like I said Im pretty sure that's how these cars are my Monte is rear wheel drive. My 03 Malibu is like that and they're very similar to a front drive Monte. (gotta love GM for that) Its not too hard to change and also id change BOTH SIDES if I were you. You'll just be changing the drivers side soon after if you don't.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Has all the classic signs of a wheel hub assembly. Hit RockAuto.com or Amazon.com for one. Regardless of if you try to do-it-yourself (which I do NOT advise if you don't have an air hammer with a chisel bit) or have a shop do it, get a good Timken bearing. It's not the sheapest, not the most expensive BUT WORTH IT! This can be a pricy job in labor (granted, most of the ones I've done I can do in an hour flat per wheel), but it's worth doing with a quality part (get a cheapy and about 1.5 years later you stand a good chance at having to do it again). Normally I've gotten Timken hubs shipped to my door for around $100. My Monte has one (will be 2 in spring, both fronts will then be Timken) and both fronts on my wife's Impala are Timkens.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
sounds like a wheel bearing, jack the car up & wiggle the wheel if it moves alot its the bearing
Thanks, i will give it a try today. Should it not move at all? so if it moves back and forth that's what it could be?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks everyone, I will let you know how it goes once i try to move the wheel. With everyone's input i will order a Timkin (so online is the place to go, not Autozone or another pasts store)? What is the difficultly doing it my self. I have an Auto repair shop with everything i need. I am in the Army, and they have Auto motive centers that we can use. It has every tool you can need. I read i will need a "Air hammer with chisel bit" if it is to get the old one off, where could i find a more detailed set of instructions on how to remove it? Of can someone send me a link here. I have seen the Part online (Autozone) it has the three bolt hole like mentioned, what is the electric part for? Is it for Anti lock brakes?

Again thanks everyone, I real appreciate it.

One more thing what is the end result of the bearing dying, is it seizing up? or something else.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think the bearing will ever seize or fall apart. But it could become unbareably noisy

Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Quick Reply: Help with Noise