Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Help needed

Old 10-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Default Help needed

Hey everyone,

I own a 2002 Monte Carlo SS that has developed quite a few problems lately. For starters, this car only has ~82,000 miles on it and there have never been any major repairs to the car except body work.

The first problem that occurred was actually about a year or so ago. The fuel gauge is no longer reading correctly. Whenever you push down on the throttle, it basically forces the needle to say "full" when it actually isn't. And as I lift off of the throttle, the needle will just free fall wherever it wants. This isn't such a major problem because if it is parked flat and I just turn the key to "On" it will give an accurate reading. Fortunately, I have never run out of gas thus far.

The second problem, is that my notification window in the gauge cluster constantly says that my coolant level and tire pressures are low. While cool, I have checked the coolant and it is full. I can actually see coolant after taking off the radiator cap. As well with the tire pressures, I keep them set to 38 even though the side wall of the tires say "44." Though unlike the fuel gauge, these other problems have only been going on for about two weeks now.

Obviously there is some kind of electrical problem. I took it to the local Chevrolet dealership and they said that it is more than likely the gauge cluster that needs replacing. That seems pretty easy to replace, in my opinion. I'm just not sure what I need to look for exactly in terms of a new cluster. Does the mileage just transfer over to the new cluster? And if the dealership is right, I don't quite understand why replacing the cluster itself would solve the problem. To me, it seems like it would be a little more in depth than that.

Anyways, if I could get some feedback on this I would really appreciate it. It's been driving me crazy.

Thank you!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mileage doesn't transfer just by plugging a new one into your car. I'm thinking the fuel gauge is one of three things, either the stepper motor in the cluster is bad which I don't think as its still reading just not reading correct so the next thing I feel is its the fuel level sender in the tank gone bad. There notorious for wearing out. Third is a wiring issue with that 5 volt reference but if it's wiring it should store a code for either high or low voltage.

The warning indicators I'm unsure of.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM

The coolant level is caused by the sensor. I'm not sure about tire pressure. Have you tried clearing it through the head unit?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Thanks a lot for your feedback. What do you think the cost would be of replacing the fuel level sender?

And gprtech, I have tried to clear the tire pressure indicator, but it doesn't seem to be an option when scrolling through the menu. You are referring to the menu that's where the radio is?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member

the fuel level sender is cheap, like $15 if i remember correct. to install there is an access door behind the rear seat in the trunk, pull the access cover off, sweep all dirt up, disconnect the connectors to the sending unit, spin the ring loose that holds the sending unit in the tank, carefully pull the sending unit out, change fuel level sender, and reinstall in reverse order.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Wow that's really easy. I will definitely do that. Thanks a lot!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:54 PM

Hey turbomonte,
If you wouldn't mind checking this link, I'm not sure which one would be the correct one.
Advance Auto Parts: Search Results for fuel level sender

Many thanks!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
Old 10-21-2014, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member