Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help!! Need to get headlights working.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Default Help!! Need to get headlights working.

I have a 2003 Monte Carlo. No headlights. Checked all fuses, good. But my real problem is that I have found the headlight relay, but can't get it out to check. It is behind the fuse panel on the drivers side. I have ripped all that I can on the panel around but can't reach the relay. It is tucked up inside there. How do I go about getting it out, then putting one in to see if that is the problem? Any help would be greatly apprecialted. We are having a snow storm and I have to run out to the garage where I have it torn apart, and then I have to drive at night to work. I need my car done by tuesday!! Please someone help me.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 PM

ok, now I got the headlight relay out and back in and that is not the problem. Any ideas yet?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:37 AM

check the connectors make sure they have the rubber insulator and follow wires

Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My headlights quit working a couple weeks ago, which was odd because they were working fine the night before. All fuses were good, etc. so it really had me scratching my head. I guess I bumped the multi-function switch when I was cleaning the dash because turning the high beams on/off a couple of times solved the problem.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Where is the multi-function switch? I just bought this car a year ago, and haven't had time to really investigate it on things. I love my monte, it is a great car. I just not use to a car this new. I know it is a 2003, but my last car was a 1992. But I will try the high beam trick to see if that works. If not, it has to go to the chevy garage. I'm not up on these newer cars.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

the switch that you use to turn the high beams on.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:21 PM

Yes!! It worked. Thank you, Thank you Thank you!! I can't believe it. I'm old school on cars and didn't know that the high beam switch was called that. But Thank You again both you guys for your help. Man, I need to read up on things.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Good deal, Glad you were able to get it fixed. The only thing I can think of is that from lack of use the switch gets oxidzed and doesn't make a good contact. Turning the high beams on/off a couple of times cleans the contacts. That's my guess anyway. They call it a muti-function switch because it controls your indicators, high beams, wipers, cruise control, etc. When you get a chance post some pictures of your '03. We'd love to see it!

Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow not a solution I would have thought of. Will have to remember this. Nice job solving his problem! Well done!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 PM

Photos on my page. Trying to get them to post for everyone to see. It is nothing special on my monte, but it is still my baby to me. Right now the only thing I have done, and have to get that pic here, is I put a bra on it to save the front end from rock chips. Living up north, we have a lot of gravel truck here and in the winter the salt trucks. I love it when it looks clean and shiny. (Hard to do when I also live on a dirt road, with a black car). But it will get the once over like I always do in the spring. Wash, wax, complete cleaning all the way through it. I day I spend going right through the car. Keeps it looking good all year round. At least it kept my last car looking good for 15 years till I had to park it for safety reasons. (And quit making parts for it.)

Ta Ta for now.

Quick Reply: Help!! Need to get headlights working.