Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Exclamation Help!!!

Please help!!

I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS, recently ran into some problems I need help with.

Sometimes when I start my car the a/c won't kick in; it will randomly kick in while I'm driving at random periods of time. Also, the passenger side climate control doesn't illuminate.

When I drive, sometimes my cruise control won't activate, or sometimes the cruise light will be on and I don't have it activated.

My homelink sometimes won't turn on, I have to manually hold one of the buttons to reset it and turn it on.

I don't know if these issues are related or separate, but any help would be appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Old 07-06-2014, 01:59 PM

I don't know about most of your issues BUT the illumination for the p/s climate control has nothing to do with any of your issues. Mine doesn't light either. And you can't change any bulb( at least what dealer told me). Sorry couldn't do more o help good luck

Old 07-06-2014, 03:31 PM

I forgot to mention my car is registering the P1554 and P1585 codes

Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 PM

Both codes listed appear to be cruise control related. A/C. On the drier there is a low side pressure switch that cycles the compressor when the low side pressure hits 25(?) psi. This switch is known to fail. Advanced has the correct part, I think they call it a cycle switch, it is somewhere in the $12.00 area. You can check continuity with an ohm meter, default is closed. If you detect an open in the switch, it is either bad, or there is no freon in the circuit. You can straighten a paperclip, bend into a "U", and with the vehicle running, bypass the switch with the paper clip to see if the compressor turns on when the A/C is engaged. remove the clip and place it back on the switch. If the compressor turns on with the paperclip, but turns off when plugged into the switch, switch is probably grenaded, if you know the freon level is legit.

Last edited by hillbillywizard; 07-06-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by hillbillywizard
On the drier there is a low side pressure switch that cycles the compressor when the low side pressure hits 25(?) psi. This switch is known to fail. Advanced has the correct part, I think they call it a cycle switch, it is somewhere in the $12.00 area. You can check continuity with an ohm meter, default is closed. If you detect an open in the switch, it is either bad, or there is no freon in the circuit. You can straighten a paperclip, bend into a "U", and with the vehicle running, bypass the switch with the paper clip to see if the compressor turns on when the A/C is engaged. remove the clip and place it back on the switch. If the compressor turns on with the paperclip, but turns off when plugged into the switch, switch is probably grenaded, if you know the freon level is legit.
would you be able to tell me how to find this switch? i looked in my haynes manual and there is nothing in there. I think this is my problem. i found it at auto zone for $21.99 if this is the right part for my car that is...(Santech/A/C clutch cycle switch (MT0613) | A/C Switch | AutoZone.com)
i looked it up at advanced and all i could find was these 2 things which dont look like the one from auto zone.....Advance Auto Parts: Search Results for a/c clutch cycle switch
but after i buy it...i still dont have any clue where its located on the car. under hood? behind dash?

Old 07-20-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bellyisis
I don't know about most of your issues BUT the illumination for the p/s climate control has nothing to do with any of your issues. Mine doesn't light either. And you can't change any bulb( at least what dealer told me). Sorry couldn't do more o help good luck
You can open it up and solder in new bulbs. They're not simple to change but they can be done. The dealers won't do it, they'd want to replace the whole assembly.