Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Default Help

I have a 2001 ss. it starts fine but when i drive it for a while and it gets warm it will spike to about 3000 rpms and drop down and die. Sometimes the car will just idle and die.... Im thinking it is a problem with the Mass airflow sensor.... need some help or some ideas before i buy a part that wont fix the problem

i tried to clean the sensor with CRC maf cleaner and it worked fine for a while. Then i deployed and it has sat there for about a year. Now its doing it again. I unplugged the MAF to make sure that was the problem and it has gone away but the rpm's still bounce a little. Need some help thanks

Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 AM

throwing codes?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Here's a link you may want to check out..Good Luck..
Also check back to see what our Master Tech Member's suggest

Auto Clinic: Maintain Your MAF Sensor, A Power Surge Precaution ...
When this cleaning cycle fails to remove all of the contaminants, you're supposed to replace the MAF sensor. According to almost every manufacturer, ...
www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how.../3297276.html - Cached - Similar

Old 07-30-2009, 11:02 AM

your MAF is likely to blame, especially noting that prior cleaning helped, and unplugging it now has also helped. the other thing that you may want to clean is the idle air controller (IAC)

as for a replacement, you could always nab a used MAF from MoradPartsCompany.com (they specialize in GM FWD parts, they're great people to do business with... they also have an ebay store)