Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Heating and AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Default Heating and AC Problem

I'm new here and have searched to see if I could find an answer on a Heating and AC problem I am having with my daughters 2000 Monte Carlo LS. I at first thought it was the Resistor so I bought one and replaced it. Did not help. When I push the buttons on the Climate Controls nothing changes, they just stay lite up. Right now the AC button is lite up and the thru car air flow is lite up and when I push them nothing changes? When I push the recirculate button or rear defrost button they don't do anything, won't even light up. When I turn the Fan Speed settings up or down they do nothing except for when I go from off to 1, I can hear the AC compressor kick in but I get no air movement from any of those settings? I need help, starting to get cold out here in Nebraska! LOL!! Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 PM

I'd check for power at the fan motor, to see if its getting power and its a bad motor, or if its the hvac unit itself. The 00-03's had different hvac controls from the 04-05's, the older ones seemed to have more issues, I got my great uncle's 02 impala ls a few years back and #1 was non operational, compressor would cycle on but no blower, if you put it on #5 it wouldn't want to shut off unless you left it there for 20 minutes, car got wrecked so we got a chance to fix that. Back to the subject for the older ones if your in defrost it won't allow you to switch to recirculate. Don't know why the defroster light isn't illuminating though, I'm hoping another member with more experience can help you. Like I said I'd be checking for power at the blower motor connector, if you have power than my assumption is the motor is bad, if you don't have power maybe its a bad hvac unit, not sure. Keep us updated though, and good luck.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM

I took this to a Mechanic friend and he said that this problem is caused by a Ignition Switch. I have one on order and as soon as I get it replaced I will post the results!
Thanks,
Brian

Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Yeah those can be problematic also, I didn't even consider the switch since you said the hvac looked like it was working. Thanks for the update, good luck