Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Headlight brighter than other

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Default Headlight brighter than other

I have a 2004 SS. One headlight is brighter than the other. I've tried adjusting the driver side but to no avail. Anyone have any tips?
thanks in advance.
Sam

Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 PM

...Hi Sam, sounds like a bad bulb ?
Check back on your thread question to see what other member suggest/post. Good Luck....Oh, is it the original Bulb ?

Web Search Answer: a poor ground--check the ground points and wires for each light or run a new ground wire for the dim one to a clean metal surface. Test for power at the wire connector for the bulb to see which wire is the ground.

Last edited by Space; 07-22-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Try to switch the bulbs around and see if it's the bulb or the housing. If it's the bulb, then you just have to buy 2 new ones (always good to replace both sides at once, like brakes)

If it's not the bulb, then we can start to try from there. Try the bulb and come back.

Remember to never touch the bulb with your bare hands. Wear some gloves, or use a towel when handling the bulb as oils on your hand can ruin it.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Lightbulb headlight brighter than other

I took it to a guy to look at and they couldn't find anything wrong supposedly. When I got home I unhooked the entire light outlet and looked at what I assumed was the relay. It had a lot white stuff over it. Not sure if this could be a problem or what I could use to clean it. Both bulbs are brand new. It's kind of frusturating because I don't want to be pulled over for something so small and you know how cops are.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 AM

Sounds like it is corroded & I would get some electrical cleaner @ a auto parts store & then
I would use the electrical cleaner and then put a dab of dielectric grease in the socket. When installing the bulb, do not touch the glass part. Oil from your hands may shorten the bulb's life.

Below are some links to check out...Good Luck

<LI class=g>How to Clean Electrical Connectors | eHow.com

How to Clean Electrical Connectors. Electrical connections, especially those ... a Crimp-On Wire Connector · How to Disconnect Auto Electrical Connectors ...
www.ehow.com/how_5136312_clean-electrical-connectors.html - Cached - Similar
<LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 3em" class=g>How to Clean an Electrical Socket on a Car: Auto Repair ...

Part of the series: Auto Repair & Maintenance. To clean an electrical socket on a car, ... How an Electric Motor Works · How to Clean Electrical Connectors ...
www.ehow.com/video_4754051_clean-electrical-socket-car.html - Cached - Similar
More results from www.ehow.com »
<LI class=g>Auto Tips 101 - Cleaning Oxidation from Electrical Connections

If you clean an oxidized electrical connection with vinegar, be sure to wash and protect ... Are you? Here are some other uses for vinegar around the auto. ...
www.autotips101.com/.../automotive/electrical/oxidized-electrical-connections.htm - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>How to clean electrical connections and contacts | OhmCheck.com

Read how to properly clean them. This works for any electrical connection whether it be an electrical component, circuit card or auto. ...
www.ohmcheck.com/clean_connector.htm - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Auto Electrical Connectors, Cleaners, Adapters, Sets and Junction ...

Auto Electrical Connectors, Cleaners, Adapters, Sets and Junction Blocks Product Info and Reviews Product Info and Reviews home improvement and diy repair ...
www.doityourself.com/icat/cleanersnconnectors?...50 - Cached - Similar

Last edited by Space; 07-24-2009 at 08:02 AM.