Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Hard Shifting when warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Default Hard Shifting when warm

My 02 is shifting hard after a few stop and go's. Have not had much luck getting answers. One guy said something about the torque converter and another said pump is cavitating. I have noticed bubbles in the fluid when it is shifting hard. Any ideas out there? I'm going to change the fluid and filter again. Any tips on that as to the cooling lines or flushing?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Default RE: Hard Shifting when warm

bubbles are normally indicative of air in the line somewhere. Check and make sure your trans pan gasket isn't leaking and that the lines are good. Also, how is your driving habit? Do you drive the car soft one day and then get on it another? If so, then the trans is adjusting to your driving and may shift hard after getting on the car. More line pressure = firmer shift. Describe the shift, is it missing or is it just slamming into gear, and when does this happen most frequently and is there a pattern? Keep us updated.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 AM

RYS, thanks for the reply. I am going to replace the filter and fluid today. No leaks that I have seen. Lines are dry. I am a very conservative driver. If I get on the highway I can drive for hours without any problem. Stop and go travel however is when the trans starts acting up. It is slamming into gear, just noticable at first, gets worse the more stop and go's. When it gets too bad I stop and shut the car down and wait about 20 minutes. Then it is fine. Should I disconnect any of the lines to drain them or is just the pan sufficient? I'll keep you informed.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 PM

Test drive done and had some moderate hard shifting. Fluid level is a little low so I'll add some and test it again tomorrow.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 PM

If the fluid is low it will cause this. Keep us updated. I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done for a transmission flush.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 PM

Took a little longer today but got the hard shifting again. Checked the fluid level again and it was still low. Added the final pint of fluid for a total of 7 quarts. My manual says the capacity is 7 quarts. When I drained the old fluid I got 6 out. Here is the kicker.....checked the fluid level again and it is still saying I am low. Letting it cool overnight. I'll try it again tomorrow and then I should know for shure. It is better though.....

Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 PM

hmmm....you need to check the transmission fluid when it is warm and the vehicle is in park or neutral. Sometimes it may take 7.5 qts with the filter. Keep us updated.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 PM

7.25 quarts and hard shifting again with a few bubbles. Going to 7.5 tomorrow with a long drive on a road with more red lights than I can count. This should be the final test to rule out fluid level as the cause. I'll let you know tomorrow how it went.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 AM

OK it is not a fluid level issue. However it is not shifting as hard. I would rank the worst of the hard shifting as a 10 with a real slamming into gear and a jolt into the back of the seat. It is better, about a 4 out of 10 with a 0 being how well it shifts first thing in the morning. The jolt is more severe when I am accelerating at a low RPM. It actually shifts somewhat smoother if I’m a little harder on the gas (higher RPM acceleration).
This is my first automatic transmission. I like to shift into neutral when I can especially when approaching a red light or off ramp with a stop at the end. When the transmission is acting up, and I shift it into neutral, it actually downshifts briefly with a slam, throwing me forward, nose dipping and jump in the RPM’s. I am assuming it is going into 3rd or even 2nd gear for just an instant. I have found that it is safe to put it into neutral when I have decelerated down to 25 MPH.
Fluid level now is dead center of the cross hatched area of the dip stick. Took 7.5 quarts like you said. I can live with it since it is not shifting as hard as before. I am just worried that I might be doing damage. In your opinion should I strive to get it shifting as smooth as possible and throw more money at the problem or should I be happy with the improvement and consider myself lucky with just the cost of new fluid and filter?
Thanks for all your help rysZ34.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Our tractor had this happen (completely diferent i know lol) but it might be your clutch plate is bent. In cooler weather or when the engine is cold, its still small, but when parts get warm, they expand, causing the plate to be bigger and have a harder time hitting the gears.

Quick Reply: Hard Shifting when warm