Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Hard shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:07 AM
Default Hard shift out of park

I have an 06 monte carlo LT and I've noticed that when I go to my girlfriends house, when parking on her driveway it is hard to shift out of park into reverse. Her driveway isnt super steep, and isnt much steeper than my driveway(I dont notice the problem at my home) I pull up onto the driveway, engage the parking brake, and then shift the car into park (manual says to do it this way). When I get into my car to drive home, it takes more force to shift the car into reverse and the car will move a bit when it finally shifts. The movement is kind of like a big jerk. Car doesnt lurch or anything, just a big *thud*. Any ideas? I'm in california so I cant imagine that it is the weather being cold (only gets to around 40 here).

Steve

Old 02-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Hard shift out of park

IT sounds like the car does not want to leave her house.........

Old 02-16-2007, 07:01 PM

When leaving, are you releasing the parking brake before or after you shiftfrom park? If you are letting the brake go first and allowing the car to roll back then shifting into gear, that would probably cause it to shift hard. When I have to do that, I set the brake before shutting off the car, and when leaving, I start, shift into gear keeping my foot on the brake, then release the parking break. I have never had a hard shift like that.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:56 AM

When I park the car, I set the e brake and then shift to park and turn off the car. When I let my foot off the brake, the car does roll back. When I start the car, I release the e brake and then shift into reverse. When I go there next, I'll try shifting to gear first, but the car has already rolled back from when I first parked. Thanks for the tips.

Steve

Old 02-17-2007, 12:36 PM

It almost sounds like the parking brakes are not holding the car.
If you set the brakes and then put the car in park is should not roll at all....

Old 02-19-2007, 02:31 AM

Yeah the car can roll up to about 2-3 inches when I set the brake and then put it into park. Maybe I should have the dealership take a look at it.

Steve