Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Guidance on repairing outside door trim / Inside "trim"

Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Guidance on repairing outside door trim / Inside "trim"

I've recently purchased a 2005 Monte Carlo SS and noticed it needed a few things done to it, and that I can most likely handle it myself.

I'll post both pictures below, but one is the outside door trim which has seen better days. I did watch a video where a person had taken off the same panel on a 2005 Impala with a paint scraper. Would this apply to mine as well?

I was hoping to sand it, then spray paint it black or another darker color, then throw on some clear coat. Has anyone ever done this? Are there any useful tips or colors I should use?

https://imgur.com/gallery/5Zwmk

Next up is the inside "trim" near the door. Is this held by glue? I can push it back and it will stick for a few seconds, then come off. It's not bad at all, but I was wanting to put in a gauge holder sometime in the future.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NhPlT

I've always wanted a Monte Carlo like this, and I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum a month ago. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

The inside trim is held by a push in retainer as a lot of the trim on these. Mine sags in the same spot, but haven't taken it out to find out what kind of retainer it is.

There is a wright up on replacing the door weather striping on here some where, I think that outer piece has to be removed during that job, so it should have a answer on how to remove it.

and welcome to the forum

Old 08-17-2017, 06:50 PM

I have to do the same with my outer trim piece. Haven't figured it out yet but saw a little 7mm bolt inside the door at the bottom of this molding so sure that has to come out first.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:27 PM

OK figured it out this weekend when I replaced the upper door molding. Bad news is that it is riveted into the door. First roll the window down all the way. Then remove the inner seal, it is just pressed into the door and easy to pull down. This gives you a view of the rivet, but unfortunately there are two more rivets in the window area. Even if you can drill these two out you would need a narrow riveter to fit into the channel. Since I don't have one of those I sanded the trim, masked all the rubber and body and sprayed the gloss black area with a self etching primer then Martin Seymour gloss black paint. Looks good to me!

Old 09-10-2017, 07:46 PM

Photo of top rivet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170909_172404.jpg (642.9 KB, 5 views)

Search this Thread