Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Got New Ignition, Now New Chipped Key Won't Wk!?!?!😢

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Question Got New Ignition, Now New Chipped Key Won't Wk!?!?!😢

This past Saturday the ignition in my car locked up while it was running we managed to get the car turned off remove the ignition and found at the lock cylinder was messed up, so we bought a new ignition cylinder put it in the car however the key that came with it did not have a security chip like our old key so I contacted the Chevy dealership in my town and went down the next day to have my key tested and a new one with the same chip ordered and it came in the next day. I went in today to have the new chip key cut to the key for the ignition cylinder that we just put in and when I got back to the car to try it the key would go in the ignition but it would not turn the ignition at all, the dummy key that came with the ignition cylinder will turn the key and either direction and the car comes on but it will not turn over because it's missing the security chip. I'm at such a loss as to what could be wrong, I even took the key back to the dealership n he retested my old key to the new one to make sure that the chip was correct and wasn't shipped improperly and it all matched. So as extra measure he put the key back into the cutter and Polished it up for me to take back and retry telling me that if that didn't work the only thing he could do was give me a refund because he didn't know what else could be wrong with it, it should have worked. And of course, you guessed it,... it still doesn't work!!! Has anyone ever had this issue or does anyone know what could be going on to keep the new one from working? Does it need to b reset? When my husband comes home from work we're going to take the steering wheel back apart and see if maybe something went wrong when putting it back together when the ignition cylinder was replaced. Any advice is greatly appreciated, this is my only mode of transportation and it's the best car I've ever owned so I'm not giving up now.....Please someone help me fig out what is wrong with my car?!?!