Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Got an 83 MC, hasnt been run since 98, got ??s

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Got an 83 MC, hasnt been run since 98, got ??s

As you can see, Im new here.
So, here goes, Im not a car guy, not very mech. minded, re-built the alternator once, swore never again I have owned the car since 83, bought it as a exec. model. Loved driving it, has 305 in it, but trans. was lousy, slipped in reverse and having a family, couldnt afford to fix at that time. Kept telling myself I would get it fixed, running again. The rest is history.

Son is 18, has some $$ saved up, wants to fix it up. What can we expect to pay to get new/re-built 350 and new re-built trans dropped in?

Also, what else can we expect to deal with to get her on the road. New tires, battery, hoses, belts, etc., anything else.

Its my 1st car so not ready to part with it.

Any info. would be great!!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it hasn't run since '98:

Inspect all wiring to insure none have been damaged by critters. Repair as needed. Replace any old, cracked coolant/vacuum hoses and drive belts.
Remove all spark plugs and squirt a couple shots of oil into each cylinder. Let it sit overnight, then squirt a couple more shots of oil into each cylinder again in the morning. Let sit for a couple hours. Put a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt and turn the engine over a few times by hand. Install new spark plugs.

Drain old oil from engine. Replace with fresh oil and new filter.

Drain old fuel from tank. If you have access to a compressor blow out the fuel lines. Replace fuel filter. Put fresh fuel in tank. Remove top from carb air horn and clean old fuel and varnish from float bowls.

Drain cooling system, replace thermostat and refill with fresh coolant.

Install fully charged battery, prime carb and start. When it starts you want to vary the idle for the first few minutes and give it a few good revs (removing foot completely from pedal on deceleration) to get the rings working again and seating properly. Bring engine up to operating temp (watching for leaks entire time) then shut off. Let cool, check coolant/oil level and top off as needed.

It would also be a good idea to drain the old transmission fluid, replace the filter and refill with fresh fluid. Wheel bearings and suspension will need fresh grease. Differential oil should be changed. Power steering and brake fluid should be changed. Filters (air/crankcase breather/etc) should be replaced. Check brakes and install new tires.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Id have to say Chris did a great job/ideas what tyo do as far as getting it road worthy...

Id be curious what state you live in as well/ mileage etc... on the vehicle...

As far as a trans rebuild you may expect to pay up to around $1200.00 TO possibly $1800.00. Depending on where you go to have it done..

Like Chris suggested.... You might "Get Lucky" with a fluid and filter change on the trans and save it.... Or at the very least delay haveing to get it Rebuilt! which would be 1 less expense while your doing everything else to get it road worthy!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member

Hey thanks guys!
This has got me excited, thinking I can get the Silver Bullet on the road again!! We live in NC and it has around 128K miles best I remember. I showed your replies to our son and he his set to go. We have had the car in a shed, so to work on it, we need to back it out. Is this going to cause issue? It will be a lot easier to maneuver around if we can get it out of there.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 AM

id push it out if you can =)

Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by solaris_vii
id push it out if you can =)
^^ This ^^

If at all possible move the vehicle out of the shed without starting the engine.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member

Once again, thanks for the advice. Im sure I will be coming here again and again for info.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Welcome to the site. post some pics when you can.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Welcome to the site. post some pics when you can.
Will do, she has a ways to go right now

Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member

My son pumped up the tires yesterday and surprisingly, they are holding air at full capacity. Looks good sitting in its normal height

We are getting excited at the possibilities of getting this MC back on the road!!

BTW, I have a friend from HS who has his sisters original 72 MC. I drove it once many years ago and man what a powerhouse, pure muscle.

Quick Reply: Got an 83 MC, hasnt been run since 98, got ??s